1 of 2
how to get an extra smooth finish on cake
Posted: 03 October 2008 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-10-03

I would like to know how i can prevent the sides of the cake from “wilting” after settling. I made this cake for a wedding and used a stabilized cream cheese icing. I spent a lot of time making sure the icing was as smooth as i could get it but after it sit for a while it started to settle and create small rolls or wrinkles on the side. What can i do to prevent this? Did I use to much icing?

Image Attachments
close up of swarovski stones.jpg2 Copy of cherry blossum cake.jpg
 Signature 

“It takes a lot more than ingredients to make something taste great but when your heart and soul go into it thats when it is remembered.”

Posted: 03 October 2008 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

HI TX

Welcome to the forum!

you call your recipe a “stabilized cream cheese icing”. What does that mean? how does your recipe stabilize it?

i use rose’s white chocolate cream cheese buttercream from the cake bible and I have not had this problem. cream cheese frosting can get kind of spongy while sitting and the white chocolate helps to keep it creamy and firm. it also offsets the tang of the cream cheese very well.

you may want to try thinner layers of frosting, but i kind of looks like your layers are actually sinking or bulging where the filling is. how thick is your filling between the layers of cake?

please tell us more about your techniques so we can offer more advice. how thick is the filling, what kind of cake is it, how thick is the coating, do you do a crumb coat before the final layer and so on…

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 03 October 2008 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Tex-26,

I agree with Jen… I think your problem has more to do with your cake than your frosting.  I’ve seen this “belly bulge” on so many occasions and it’s usually due to the cake layers settling after the cake is frosted.  I also find this happens more to cake mix cakes than scratch cakes like the recipes rose has developed.  Was your cake made from a mix by any chance?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 03 October 2008 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-03

Thanks for the response. this cake was a strawberry chiffon cake from scratch (Chiffon cakes have become a favorite of mine.) I used strawberry preserves mixed with buttercream for the filling and used a dam to prevent it from squeezing out. I did do a crumb coat on this as well. I used 2 tablespoons of meringue powder to stabilize this cream cheese (TX heat can melt CC fast so i usually add MP to stabilize it some. I tend to have this problem only when i cover cakes with CC.

Signature 

“It takes a lot more than ingredients to make something taste great but when your heart and soul go into it thats when it is remembered.”

Posted: 03 October 2008 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-03
jen68 - 03 October 2008 03:57 PM

HI TX

Welcome to the forum!

you call your recipe a “stabilized cream cheese icing”. What does that mean? how does your recipe stabilize it?

i use rose’s white chocolate cream cheese buttercream from the cake bible and I have not had this problem. cream cheese frosting can get kind of spongy while sitting and the white chocolate helps to keep it creamy and firm. it also offsets the tang of the cream cheese very well.

you may want to try thinner layers of frosting, but i kind of looks like your layers are actually sinking or bulging where the filling is. how thick is your filling between the layers of cake?

please tell us more about your techniques so we can offer more advice. how thick is the filling, what kind of cake is it, how thick is the coating, do you do a crumb coat before the final layer and so on…

jen

I will have to try that recipe!! As far as the thickness it really was not thick at all just a thin layer. I also doweled this cake it was a 16, 12, 8.

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2008 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

your frosting is MELTING, simply said either due to more heat it can take or due to more weight it can take.

I call these love handles.  It helps if your refrigerate your frosted cake for 24 hours, so it gets cold inside and firm up the filling while the filling “soaks into the cake.” 

You can also use additional supporting structures, chiffon is usually TOO fragile to torte and fill and neverless to stack.

So really, I don’t think you made something wrong and btw cake design is a beauty you have done.  Just try pick more structurally sound components.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 03 October 2008 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-03

That is exactly what I thought too-melting- this was the first time i have done a chiffon cake this large i have done smaller ones that held up OK but it never fails my CC icing always tend to get the love handles!!! I guess it is the heat here in TX. Is there anything else i can do to maybe prevent it from melting without having to use pounds upon pounds of additional sugar??

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2008 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-03

That is exactly what I thought too-melting- this was the first time i have done a chiffon cake this large i have done smaller ones that held up OK but it never fails my CC icing always tend to get the love handles!!! I guess it is the heat here in TX. Is there anything else i can do to maybe prevent it from melting without having to use pounds upon pounds of additional sugar?? BTW thanks for the compliment!!

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2008 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

The most heat resistance cream cheese buttercream I know of, is Rose’s white chocolate version, furthermore reduce the amount of butter as optionally suggested on the recipe for “rock solid” heat resistance.  You can also try a mousseline buttercream, which in my experience is the best heat resistant there is.  I bake in Hawaii, so it is mid 80s year round.  Refrigerating your frosted cake overnight helps tremendously, gives you at least 2 hours of display time, see the cold trapped inside the cake will help keep the outside of the cake the cool it can be.

The tall green cake I made for Elaine was frosted with mousseline, and it sat for 12 hours, well it was 55oF in the morning, but towards the afternoon it reached near 80s.  The carrot cake I made for Elaine was frosted with Rose’s white chocolate cream cheese buttercream, and it sat for 6 hours.  Both cakes, counting from the minute I took them out from the refrigerator.

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2008 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

one more thing, from the picture, seems like you have 2 love handles per tier.  Did you use 3 layers of cake per tier?  That makes your layer cake even more prone to love handles.  Elaine’s 8 layer cylinder cake had a middle separator plate, and huge 1” diameter hollow hidden pillars, so you know!  There was a separator plate on the very top, too, to hold the little 5” cake top, there is no way I would rest anything on a “4-layer” cake.

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2008 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-03

Yes each tier had 3 layers , strawberry, chocolate, strawberry!! I never even thought about using the separator plates and a hollow pillar. I am still a newby at this and keep learning little tricks throughout the way!!! That cake is gorgeous you are referring to btw that is my goal to get my cakes as smooth as that!!!! Do you happen to know of any good books out there for stacking techniques?

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2008 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

3 layers is the biggest reason of love handles.

did you rest each tier on its own cardboard round or separator plate?  I hope so!  And tiers never rest on the tier below, but are supported by pegs, rods, pillars, or plastic straws.

Cake Bible.

glad you liked my cake.  It is as smooth as it gets, and the frosting is mousseline buttercream (Cake Bible).  This buttercream is so smooth and perfectly emulsified and heaven to work with, therefore you can get the smooth finish.  For the best smoothness, I use the recommended amount of liquor (alcohol helps smooth out the butter), and I don’t do any of the fruit variations (adds less smoothness).

I keep looking at your picture, and I really like your design, and initiative.  All the flowers you did, it was work, I can tell.
Hope you have seen my posting under Hector’s 7 cake wedding.  Lots I have written.

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2008 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-03

I did have each tier on its own board but i did not use any separator plates I will definatly get me some of those!! I thought you could just dowel rod each tier several times but now it is making more sense (suddenly the lightbulb went off!!!:)) I will have to try the mousseline buttercream i have tried to make SMBC before but i can never get that right it always turns out to be runny. I will have to try my chances with the MBC. Yes all of those flowers took some time especially going back through and putting in swarovski crystals!! It was worth it seeing the brides excitement though!! have looked throughout the site but could not find the post you were referring too. I have one question on the mousseline buttercream does it always come out shiny?

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2008 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

i love swarovski, and I love people that work for love.  it it the best way to bake something very nice and special!

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2008/09/hectors_7_cake_wedding.html

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2008/07/elaines_7cake_wedding.html

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2008 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

if smbc comes runny is because sugar not at the exact temperature, the same with mbc.  a lot said on Patrincia’s entry on mousseline the magic buttercream.

tower green cake was filled with smbc, but frosted with mbc.

yes, it comes out shiny, but only when it is too warm your room temp.

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2008 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-03

The cakes you made for your cousins wedding are beautiful!!! I can only imagine all the work you put into those and the flavors sound wonderful!!! Pistachio is one of my favorites!! I am going to order the cake bible and experiment with these.  grin

Signature 

1 of 2