Great Pumpkin Pie
Posted: 05 October 2008 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2008-01-14

Another winning recipe from Rose!

I made the PPB Great Pumpkin Pie yesterday as sort of a trial run before the holidays.  I’ve learned the hard way that some people are very particular about the big meal and it’s best not to mess with tradition (and introduce new recipes) on Thanksgiving Day. 

Absolutely wonderful and delicious and, like all of Rose’s pie recipes, it tastes purely of pumpkin with the spices playing a minor role.  I don’t even like pumpkin pie but I really enjoyed this.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, the PPB is a Godsend.  I’m now turning out beautiful, delicious pies that I can be proud of.  What used to be a frustrating, disheartening chore has now become pure pleasure.

Thanks again, Rose! smile

Posted: 19 November 2008 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

By the way, some other winter squashes make great pie filling. Butternut squash beats pumpkin imho. I’m keen to try kabocha.

Cathy

Posted: 24 November 2008 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-10-13

Hello there. Has any one used the whole wheat flaky cream cheese pie crust with the pumpkin pie? Just wondering..

It’s Thanksgiving! Start your engines. We will all be very busy.
elma

Posted: 25 November 2008 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-01-20

I don’t have Rose’s PPB, maybe some nice person will get it for me as a holiday gift.  In the meantime, I’m making a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and need some advice.  Should I partially bake the crust before I put in the filling?  I don’t like soggy bottom crusts.  I would prefer not to bother with partial baking if I can get a good result by just putting the filling into an unbaked crust and following time/temp instructions.  Can someone recommend where in the oven I should place my pie (middle, lower third, close to the floor, floor) so that it bakes properly?  I’ve made many pumpkin pies, but the bottom crust is often soggy.  Thanks for your help!

p.s.  I love fresh pumpkin, too, but have found many to be inconsistent re: flavor.  I’ve gone the way of the can for pies and haven’t been disappointed.  I bet Rose’s recipe is wonderful!

Posted: 25 November 2008 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-01-20

Thanks, Rozanne!  WOW!!  So much great info about soggy bottom crusts.  I’m going to try baking my pie on the oven floor for the first 20 minutes, as Rose suggests.  Again, thank you for directing me to the blog.  Happy Thanksgiving!

‹‹ Turnover Filling      Mango Passion Tart ››