2 of 2
Milk Chocolate Frosting
Posted: 29 July 2009 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Both of my favorite chocolate frostings are from Cook’s Illustrated.  Or course, use the best chocolate you can find, not chocolate chips.  The first recipe is a bit involved, but not difficult to make.  Both are smooth, creamy, fluffy, and billowy; neither is overly sweet, neither is like ganache.

Chocolate Fudge Frosting   Cooks Illustrated March/April 2006

16 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream

Melt chocolate and set aside. Melt butter. Increase heat to medium and add sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and salt.  Stir with a heatproof rubber spatula until sugar is dissolved, 4-5 minutes. Add melted chocolate, butter mixture and cream to the bowl of a standing mixer and stir to thoroughly combine.  Place mixer bowl over ice bath and stir mixture constantly with a rubber spatula until frosting is thick and just beginning to harden against sides of bowl, 1-2 minutes. Frosting should be 70 degrees.  Place bowl on standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until frosting is light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Stir with rubber spatula until completely smooth.

Foolproof Chocolate Frosting   Cooks Illustrated March/April 2008

This frosting may be made with milk, semisweet or bittersweet chocolate.  Cool the chocolate to between 85 and 100 degrees before adding it to the butter mixture.  The frosting can be made 3 hours in advance. For longer storage, refrigerate the frosting, covered, and let it stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using. 

20 tablespoons unsalted buttered, softened to 60-65 degrees
1 cup (4 ounces) confectioners’ sugar
3/4 cup Dutched cocoa
Pinch table salt
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 ounces chocolate, melted and cooled slightly

In food processor, process butter, sugar, cocoa and salt until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping sides of the bowl as needed. Add corn syrup and vanilla and process until just combined, 5-10 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl, then add chocolate and pulse until smooth and creamy, 10-15 seconds. Frosting can be used immediately or held (see above).

Posted: 29 July 2009 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

MrsM, have you ever made the chocolate cake from the March/April 2006 issue?

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 July 2009 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

If I did, I don’t remember, so I don’t think so.  This recipe isn’t chocolaty enough for me. I love chocolate, I want to taste chocolate, not brown cake.  My go to recipe for chocolate layer cake is from Mrs. Fields.

DEVIL?S FOOD CAKE     Mrs. Fields I Love Chocolate

1 3/4 cups boiling water (14 ounces)
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (3.25 ounces)
2 cups (7 ounces) bleached AP flour   (original calls for 2 cups sifted cake flour, but I never have luck with any cake using cake flour, I always use bleached AP)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 ounces unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed (12.5 ounces)  I use light brown sugar for everything
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350?.  Grease two 9 inch round cake pans, line with parchment rounds, grease the parchment as well. 

In a medium bowl, pour the boiling water over the chopped chocolate and cocoa powder and stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth.  Cool to room temperature.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.

Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition.  Beat in the vanilla.  Add the flour and half of the chocolate.  Beat on low to combine, then beat on high for 1 1/2 minutes.  Add the remaining chocolate and beat on low to combine.

Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30-40 minutes (my oven needs 37 minutes) until the toothpick comes out clean at the center.  Set on a wire rack to cool in the pans for 20 minutes.  Turn out onto a rack to cool completely.

Posted: 29 July 2009 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Thank you MrsM. I usually use Rose’s recipes. I was intrigued by the method of mixing it. I wonder if the CI method can be used for the Mrs. Fields recipe.  question  Thank you for taking the time to type out the recipe. I will give it a try soon. Any excuse to eat chocolate is good enough for me.  LOL

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 July 2009 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

Rozanne, it’s worth a try,  basically the same ingredients, so I would chance it.  The Mrs. Fields recipe was written before the ‘reverse creaming’ method came into vogue. 

And I agree, any excuse to each chocolate is a great thing.  smile

2 of 2