2 of 2
Mango Passion Tart
Posted: 09 November 2008 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Wow, it looks great! Hope you pause for a moment to enjoy all the successes of this project!

Of course there is always more to learn, and things that weren’t perfect. Here’s my 2 cents on that:

1) pastry crust—I agree with Hector that you don’t want big pieces of butter in a tart-style crust (unlike a flaky pie crust). Not stretching is also important. Also, after putting it in the pan, I put mine into the fridge for an hour or so, so the dough can relax a bit. Then I freeze it and bake it straight out of the freezer. Really seems to help with shrinkage and cracking.

2) for less-sweet glazes, you can try making your own glaze or jam instead of going with store-bought. I like to use frozen concentrated juices—I use the “100% juice” types, not the “fruit cocktails” with all the added sugar. I use less water when reconstituting them—one part water to one part concentrate, instead of three parts water. Add just a little sugar to taste, or maybe even none at all. You can add a bit of lemon juice for tartness, if needed. Thicken with no-sugar-needed pectin or a starch thickener like cornstarch, potato starch, or arrowroot. Stir in a little flavored liqueur when cool, if desired.

I’m not sure what flavor of juice would be best for mangoes. So far, I’ve only used cherry and apple-cranberry juices. You could always try a mild, neutral flavored concentrate juice like apple, white grape, or pear or a blend of these.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 09 November 2008 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

What a gorgeous tart!  I usually do the flower thing with apples, but the mango has larger slices and really looks lovely. 

For a less-sweet glaze, you can make your own!  And it has the advantage of holding up longer than melted apricot preserves.  Rose’s glaze section starts on p 611 of the PPB, and I usually make the cassava glaze for its longevity.  You can choose a perfectly complementary juice and alter the sugar content according to the ripeness of the mango. 

I have had the same problem with crust browning during blind baking, now I cover the edge with foil from the start, and check it near the end of baking to see if it needs to be removed for more browning (it usually only needs a little, if any).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 09 November 2008 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

Thanks everyone!

Hector:  For the passionfruit curd, I use frozen passionfruit puree - it has a small amount of sugar added, so I normally reduce the sugar a little when making it, and also add a twist of lemon to brighten the flavour.  Otherwise the curd ends up being a little too sweet for our taste.  I should try using the fresh fruit soon.

As for the pastry - it might be that I had processed it a bit too much in the processor.  I didn’t see any flakes of butter!  After transferring the dough into the tart pan I refrigerated it for almost 2 days before baking, and baked it cold. 

Shall have to try again soon, and using the suggestions for a less-sweet glaze that you have all so helpfully given.  I see I shall also have to read the PPB more thoroughly.

Posted: 10 November 2008 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

LittleIsland - Gorgeous tart!!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

2 of 2