Help !! Problems coloring fondant.
Posted: 08 October 2008 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-10-08

Hello to all & thanks for this awesome blog. I am a professional chef & I also do cakes for friends & family. I use Peggy’s MMF recipe for fondant & I love it!! It works perfectly everytime. Mostly I have done pale tinted fondants using Americolor or Wilton. But I have tried to do a deep red & brown and my fondant is totally falling apart. It is weirdly sticky & crumbly at the same time. While doing a cake last night I had to start my fondant over because the batch I tinted fell apart. The second batch I tinted as a made it in the mixer. I don’t really like to always tint as I am making the fondant because I like to reuse my left overs & I like them to be white so I can tint them any color.

Is anyone else having these problems? For small decor items I use gumpaste &/or tylose with fondant & i have alot less big surprise  tinting probs.

All help is appreciated !!!

Posted: 08 October 2008 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

reaching red, brown, black, is hard because you need a lot of food coloring, thus it will water down your fondant.  Try powder food coloring which is a lot more concentrated and you need to use less for these deep colors.

most bakers that need red or black fondant, just buy it already tinted.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 08 October 2008 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

What about making chocolate fondant to get the deep brown color you want? There is a recipe for it in Cake Bible. I have made chocolate fondant, and it tastes good.

Posted: 08 October 2008 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

if it’s crumbly try coating your hands with shortening and kneading until it’s soft again. anytime i reuse fondant i have to do this. for the stickyness add a bit of powdered sugar. it doesn’t dilute the color very much. i have never tried powdered color, but i find that candy color mixes well.

for black, i buy already colored from satin ice. i have to say that , personally, i would never cover a cake entirely in black fondant because it just tastes horrible and your clients will end up with black mouths.

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 08 October 2008 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

For some reason every time I use Peggy’s MMF fondant I require black, dark blue and red (!) and yes they are quite a challenge initially. ( I make mind in the Kitchenaid BTW and only hand knead at the end as per below).

As Hector says, you do need more colouring to make these shades and this will throw the liquid ratio out enough to mess things up! Also the shortening ratio although small is critical to the elasticity and smoothness of the final product.

I have used both Wilton paste and Corella powder colours and have found the powder colours perform best. You do need to dissolve the powder colours in a little warm water (e.g no more than a teaspoon) otherwise they will appear grainy in your fondant, but the depth of colour is far superior to paste IMHO!

Peggy’s recipe calls for water, so to prevent dark colour fondants becoming too wet (as Hector mentioned) I melt the marshmallows with only half the required water and add the ‘powdered colour mixed in water’  during the mixing phase then hand knead in drop by drop until the colour depth required is achieved.

Also, I never start from white when making black and red. For red I melt pink marshmallows and then a tiny amount of black prior to adding the red which gives better depth.

When making black (depending on the amount I require) during initial mixing I add a tiny bit of blue then black and the hand knead in more black.

I also find that I use about 1 teaspoon extra shortening to grease my hands when kneading (we have a different kind here in Aus to that which Peggy specifies) and occasionally about 1 tablespoon extra of icing (confectioner’s) sugar if it gets sticky to keep the glossiness and texture.

I haven’t tried it but I have heard that dissolving pure cocoa powder (e.g. not drinking chocolate) in a little warm water and adding extra 1 teaspoon shortening in the intial mix gives a good brown.

Hope this helps!

Posted: 09 October 2008 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

adding black or brown helps to get red most defenitelly.

chocolate fondant is the real thing

almond fondant is the real fondant, too!

I am sorry I am not better help, I avoid food coloring at most.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/