2 of 2
ASAP HELP!  My Daughter’s party is this Sat, 11th, need fridge prep advice ASAP for fondant cake, 3 teirs!
Posted: 23 October 2008 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Wow!

You may look at the cake and see the things you could have done better—but I look at it and I see one stunning cake! Remember not to be too hard on yourself while you strive for perfection!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 05 December 2008 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-10-09

Ok everyone,  tonight I’m on to cake #3, a 40th birthday present for a dear friend.  I jsut went back to re read all the wisdom you all wrote to me before.  Sooo glad it’s all still here.  Will send Pics asap. 

Quick Question though….
I made fondant decoration throughout the month.  I stored them safely in a cabinet covered, but not air tight.  I just tried one of them ( a butterfly) and it had an awful after taste.  Have they gone bad?  I’m thinking about re doing them, but they were very labor instensive with hand painting, etc.  What is the shelf life of fondant decorations to be eaten?

Thanks!
Karen

Posted: 05 December 2008 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Karen - I don’t know how long fondant decorations are supposed to be edible after they’re made, but I usually tell people that although they’re edible, they may not want to because they don’t really taste that good.  Did you make Rose’s fondant recipe, or did you purchase a commercially available pre-made fondant?  Rose’s recipe is the best tasting I’ve found, but the commercially available ones are…. well, disgusting.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 05 December 2008 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

The fondant dries out over time, just like gum paste.  So while it is technically made from an edible material (which satisfies the local health dept), no one said that it would taste good smile  Usually I tell clients that the decorations can be removed to make it easier to cut the cake if they are complex, or if there is a lot of fondant on the cake (think about the harlequin tiles on a layer of fondant) so you might want to suggest this to your friend if you are not going to be there when the cake is served.

Things on wires I make ahead of time, at least a week if I am organized, the day before if I am not smile  If I need something to stand up (say, a monogram), I use gum paste and make several of them, and make them at least 10 days prior.  I’ve found that some brands of gum paste dry faster (overnight) than others.  Mostly I buy from Albert Uster Imports.  They just reformulated their gum paste and now it is fantastic.  Expensive, but I can make bow loops before I leave for the day and they are bone dry/rock hard when I arrive in the morning.

Flat decorations (flowers, dots, etc) I make when I am finishing the cake.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 05 April 2009 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-09

Hi all, It’s been a while now, and I just finished a Baby Shower Fairy cake for my sister in law.  Hope you like it!  I went back to this thread to refreah myself, and still I am so grateful for all your advice!

Image Attachments
baby shower fairy cake.jpgcake top 1.jpgfairy close up.jpgbaby clothes line.jpg

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

Wow, that is gorgeous! I’ve never seen such a fancy cake for a baby shower; truly stunning. You’re family and friends are very lucky. You certainly are talented!

By the way, I’d take that cake as a wedding cake too. I love whimsical themed cakes; they just tinkle me pink smile.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 April 2009 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Absolutely adorable Karen!  I especially like the baby clothes hanging on the line smile.  What fondant did you use?  Was the cake made from Rose’s recipes?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

You really are talented. I just saw your avatar. What a gorgeous cake!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 April 2009 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-09

Thanks!  My next step is to use Roses recipes.  I wonder, do you all know if Rose has a recipe for a dairy free cake?  My Sister’s Baby shower with a Boy theme is April 18th, and she is allergic to dairy.  SHe told me to use a Devils food recipe.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Posted: 06 April 2009 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

The Chocolate Mayo Cake in The Cake Bible is your best bet. Just make sure the mayo you buy doesn’t have milk ingredients in it (but make sure it has eggs and not chemical substitutes).

It’s a very delicious cake, and you can frost it with a 7-minute frosting that is also dairy free.

Roxanne

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

2 of 2