How to make pumpkin cake roll look like a bouche de noel…woodlike…?
Posted: 11 October 2008 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-08-16

Hi.  I am making a simple pumpkin cake roll for an upcoming dinner.  I didn’t really want to just dust with xxx sugar.  Wanted to dress it up a bit and thought maybe I could make it look like a log and maybe make some fondant/gumpaste marbled leaves as decoration.  I don’t really want to use a sweet icing like regular xxx bc. Could I do this with say a stabilized rum flavored whipped cream?  How could I tint it different shades of brown?  Should I use something like Bettercreme or pastry pride and air brush it?  Ideas please…. please .... please… Thank you!

Posted: 12 October 2008 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

I did a log cake many years ago and used a dark chocolate ganache to frost the outside. I ran a fork through it to simulate the wood grain of the bark. Chocolate ganache is already brown, so you don’t need to worry about tinting it. The only drawback is I’m not sure how well chocolate goes with pumpkin. It would probably be good if the pumpkin cake has a lot of spice in it, so that the cake becomes a chocolate-spice combination.

Posted: 13 October 2008 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

make some mousseline buttercream and tint it with brown food coloring. it will taste super good with the pumpkin especially if you add an extra tsp of vanilla.  OR white chocolate cream cheese buttercream, which is a bit tangy and will also go great with pumpkin.

the whipped cream won’t hold up long enough for your decorations IMO.

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 15 October 2008 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2007-11-27

I have a grand marnier cream cheese “mousse like” filling for my pumpkin roll, and I use a star (large open star) to pipe the outside with it.  The ridges resemble bark and you can swirl it on the knot in the middle if you use one.  As for coloring it, I use it plain, but an airbrush will probably give you the shading you want. 

For traditional buche de noel, I use either ganache or a dark chocolate buttercream (using Callebaut callets).  The buttercream allows for natural shading when you go to make it look like the bark of a tree after applying it.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 26 October 2008 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-08-16

Hmmm.  Now I am rethinking using Pastry Pride.  I do love the merengue icings but I find that some don’t like all that butter.  Others don’t like how sweet regular xxx buttercream is… Can’t please everybody.  I do love ganache but don’t think I want to have that strong a flavor to take away from the pumpkin spice.  BTW I did do a Spicy Rum Merengue icing that used whole eggs.  I put it on spice cake.  It was to die for…. yum.  It takes Myers Dark Rum.  The spices add speckles.  Tastes great but I don’t want the speckles on the “log”.

Jeanne…Would you mind sharing the grand marnier cream cheese mousse recipe? 

Thank you.  Site is so great!  Pat