NeoClassic Buttercream Question
Posted: 17 October 2008 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-10-17

Hi,

New to all this… I posted this question the wrong forum earlier.  I am panicing.  My friend is getting married and I am making the Yellow downy Cake with the NeoClassic Buttercream for the filling and then covered with Fondant. 

Do I need to keep the tiers refridgerated due to the buttercream just prior to the ceremony OR will the fondant keep it safe?

HELP!  I’m desparate, the wedding is tomorrow!

I know last minute Charlie…

Posted: 17 October 2008 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Pottershand - the neoclassic bc can be stored at room temp for 6 hours, refrigerated for 1 week, and frozen for 8 months.  That should help you determine how to best store/decorate/display the wedding cake you’re making for your friend.  I hope you’ll post a photo of the finished cake!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 October 2008 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

What Patrincia says is the same guide I would follow, as written on TCB.  However, in industry, most bakeries keep the cake frosted and just prior to delivering the cake the fondant is applied, and never refrigerated gain.

Unless you have special low humidity refrigerator which is only about 45-50 degrees, you should not refrigerate fondant.  This handling is almost required, for food safety and liability.

For home bakers, the general guide is that the shelf life of a cake at room temperature, once covered with fondant, triples or cuadruples.  For example, the buttercream is 6 hours, but when covered with fondant is 24!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 18 October 2008 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-10-17

Thanks Patricia & Hector for your responses.  I finally saw in the back of TCB the 24 hours rule.  Unfortunately a little too late, I put the cake the fridge last night… how bad is it going to be?  I just took it out… the wedding is not until this later today.  Do I need to remove the fondant?

Help!

Posted: 18 October 2008 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

oh mine, can you immediatelly put it in a very cold air conditioned room?  the humidity is the lowest when very cold air conditioned.  From her, bring to room temp.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 08 July 2009 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-10-12

Thanks, Hector, for posting about how long the buttercream can last once covered with fondant.  I’ve only been using mousseline buttercream because it has the longest shelf life of the buttercreams and I’ve been afraid to refrigerate the cake after covering with fondant.  I’d like to try the other buttercreams to see how differently they taste from the mousseline and also, I hate wasting all of the egg yolks with the mousseline.  Going to make a cake for my little daughter’s 2nd birthday.  Need to serve 100 guests and needs to last 8 hours long in warm southern CA weather.  Maybe I will need to use mousseline anyway?

Posted: 10 July 2009 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

You can use the egg yolks to make lemon, orange, lime, or passionfruit curd—or pastry cream—or custards—or they can be frozen if you mix them with a little sugar. There’s information about that somewhere on Rose’s blog, try searching for “freezing egg yolk.”

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara