An edible Nintendo DS cake
Posted: 20 October 2008 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-10-03

My son wanted a Nintendo DS cake for his birthdayand the theme was Pokemon. He wanted the top screen and bottom screen to show the characters on them so i painted them on a thin piece of fondant. With lots of long hours in the kitchen,dowels,power tools, cake, fondant and buttercream here it is…. An edible nintendo ds

Image Attachments
closeup of bottom.jpgcolby 9th birthday.jpg
 Signature 

“It takes a lot more than ingredients to make something taste great but when your heart and soul go into it thats when it is remembered.”

Posted: 21 October 2008 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Fantastic!  Your son is a cutie - he looks very pleased with his cake smile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 October 2008 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

What a great cake, your son must have been so happy! 

How did you do the vertical part?  Does that have cake in it?  Cardboard supports?  And what flavors were the inside of the cake?  Is the black a chocolate-based fondant?

It’s funny, I had been thinking that I couldn’t imagine a cake with black fondant, but now I see that it makes perfect sense!  And I don’t know if there were any issues with fondant coloring their mouths, but boys of that age probably thought it was great fun if their mouths did turn colors!  My daughter loves it when a lollipop turns her mouth blue!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 21 October 2008 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Awesome cake! Your son’s friends must envy him having a mum who can turn out such cool cakes.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 October 2008 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2007-11-17

Great job!  The painting turned out very nice.

Posted: 25 October 2008 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-10-03
Julie - 21 October 2008 02:22 PM

What a great cake, your son must have been so happy! 

How did you do the vertical part?  Does that have cake in it?  Cardboard supports?  And what flavors were the inside of the cake?  Is the black a chocolate-based fondant?

It’s funny, I had been thinking that I couldn’t imagine a cake with black fondant, but now I see that it makes perfect sense!  And I don’t know if there were any issues with fondant coloring their mouths, but boys of that age probably thought it was great fun if their mouths did turn colors!  My daughter loves it when a lollipop turns her mouth blue!

Actually the top part of this cake is a foam board covered in fondant. I then pushed several dowel rods through to support that board so it would not break. The hardest thing was constructing the cake board to support the top, i ended up using a large dowel rod and drilling holes into that so the top piece could slip into it. The bottom part of this is the actual cake. It is a half chocolate and a half vanilla sheet cake. My son does not like fondant so it is covered in black buttercream. I used the Wilton Gel to color it black, I have found that it does not stain the mouth as bad. The controllers were rectangle brownie snacks and those were covered in fondant.

Signature 

“It takes a lot more than ingredients to make something taste great but when your heart and soul go into it thats when it is remembered.”