soggy marzipan
Posted: 23 October 2008 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-10-23

Help. The last 2 years, when I have cut the christmas cake, the marzipan has gone all soggy. I usually make my cake about 8 weeks before christmas, feed it several times with brandy, put the marzipan on then a week later put on the icing. Anybody got any ideas. I don’t think I’ve done anything different to what I normally do.

Posted: 24 October 2008 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4803
Joined  2008-04-16

Libby, I’m not a marzipan expert, but I’m thinking that it’s bound to have a higher sugar content than the cake, which would tend to attract moisture from the cake and could make the marzipan soggy.  Not sure why it would work in some years and not others, but you could try placing the marzipan on the cake much closer to serving time, so it doesn’t have time to get so soggy. 

Good Luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 24 October 2008 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Libby, what marzipan recipe are you using?  Do you make it from scratch?  A week shouldn’t be a problem before icing - but do you wrap it up to prevent drying out?  Annie

Posted: 24 October 2008 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-10-23

I’m afraid these days I cheat and buy my marzipan ready made from the local Deli. I usually wrap the cake in greaseproof paper until I put the marzipan on, then after it is stored in a large plastic cake container.

Posted: 24 October 2008 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Well, Libby, I think I would wrap it in double greaseproof paper in the plastic container as well.  It’s possible your container is not airtight.  In fact I wrap mine in double greaseproof and then foil.  Do you put a layer of apricot jam on your cake before applying the marzipan?  That also helps to keep everything moist.  May I suggest you make your own marzipan?  It is so full of flavour and is very easy to make.  Annie

Posted: 02 November 2008 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

If your deli is putting more corn syrup in than they used to, that could cause trouble. Corn syrup has an almost uncanny ability to draw moisture.

Cathy

‹‹ ROYAL ICING RECIPE      Taste of cake ››