Stud Muffin
Posted: 25 October 2008 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2007-11-15

I’m a little confused by the directions in the bread bible.  Do I let it double first and then refrigerate?  Or it doubles while it’s in the fridge?

Signature 

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

Posted: 26 October 2008 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2007-11-15

I decided to throw it in the fridge and let it do all of its rising there.  It appears to have worked, but I’m still curious regarding the original intent of the instructions.

Image Attachments
stud muffin resized.JPG
 Signature 

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

Posted: 26 October 2008 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Amy, I read the recipe, and it wasn’t clear to me, either.  It almost sounds like a sentence is missing. 

Based on Rose’s methods for Brioche, which I make often (and this comes from the Brioche section), I would guess that one allows the dough to double at room temp, then transfers the bowl to the ‘fridge to chill and ripen.  But then it is allowed to nearly triple, which is more rising than the Brioche at that point, so I’m confused, too. 

In any event, your stud muffin looks wonderful!  So putting it directly into the refrigerator must have been OK.  Was it tasty?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 27 October 2008 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

I’ve made this recipe many times and I do not leave the dough out before refrigerating it.  It seems to work perfectly - yours looks just like mine.  Isn’t the flavour just amazing?  EVERYONE should make this at least once in their lives.  Annie

Posted: 28 October 2008 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

I agree with Julie—I let mine rise at room temp first—I see I put a notation in the margin to let it rise 1 to 1 1/4 hours.  But obviously it works without doing this as well—my guess would be that the crumb of the bread will be somewhat finer if you do this additional rise.