Not enough room to bake dacquoise layers
Posted: 08 November 2008 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-04

Hi everyone,

I just moved to a new hose and now I don’t have enough oven space to bake all my dacquoise layers at the same time.  Can i hold a layer or two in the refrigerator while waiting for the others to bake or should I just divide the recipe to make only as much as I can fit? 

My dacquoise is similar to rose’s but calls for a higher oven temp and shorter baking time. I use the layers to make a cake called sans rival (vanilla french meringue sandwiched between meringue layers).

Thanks.

Posted: 09 November 2008 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Congrats on your move smile. sorry the oven is smaller confused.  I can’t find the page I’m looking for right now, but TCB Rose suggests the following - for the best rise, refrigerate butter cake batter in the cake pan you intend to bake it in, rather than refrigerating it in a storage container or mixing bowl.  I’m sorry I don’t know if that technique works for dacquoise as well, but it’s worth a try.  Do let us know how it works out for you.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 19 November 2008 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

If you live in a dry climate, you might try just letting the second round sit out on the counter. I saw a meringue recipe in the Denver Post that wasn’t baked at all, but just dried at room temperature.

Cathy

Posted: 25 December 2008 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-11-22

I concur, that letting it sit out, would be the better option.. it’s not a “leavened” cake, so you’re not dealing with double acting powder, which would react to heat.. and since meringues, will dry, eventually, either in an oven or out, what would be the harm in letting them sit out for a bit? 
alternatively?  can you pipe the layers onto parchment, on sheet pans. would that help with the oven “space” issue..

Signature 

If chocolate were a friend it’d be one needing compliance:
but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.

Posted: 29 December 2008 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2007-11-27

it’s way past the time you needed an answer, but letting it sit at rm temp is the best way to go; it will allow the surface to dry to the touch and it will be fine to bake when you have the room in the oven.  We let our dacquoise sit at rm temp for about 30 mins at least before we put them in the oven.  Rose uses the same technique in the Christmas cookie book with the meringue cookies and meringue mushrooms.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)