Shaker Meyer Lemon Tart
Posted: 09 November 2008 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I made a Shaker Meyer Lemon Tart a few days ago. I’ve been experimenting with this recipe off and on for a few years, and finally, this time, I NAILED IT! The crust was just right—tender but not too crumbly, held its shape and didn’t crack or shrink. (Rose’s recipe.) The filling came out just right, too—not too sweet, not too sour, smooth and crack-free. (It’s based on recipes from Rose and Bernard Clayton.) Yippee!

For the full recipe, please visit my blog, Bungalow Barbara.

This was an entry in the You Want Pies With That? blog event. For all the entries for this month, check out Fashionable Pies Round-up.

Image Attachments
meyer_lemon_tart_1.jpgmeyer_lemon_tart_2.jpg
 Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 09 November 2008 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

That looks extremely yummy!!  After making the Mango Passionfruit tart, I am now toying with the idea of making more tarts and especially a lemon one grin

Posted: 09 November 2008 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Barbara - it’s absolutely beautiful!  What size tart pan did you use?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 November 2008 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

That looks absolutely delicious!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 November 2008 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-24

I used a long, narrow tart pan. I think it’s about 13 inches long by 4 inches wide.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 10 November 2008 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

What a beautiful pie, I love the shape of your tart pan!  And I’m so happy you baked up that recipe, I’ve been wondering what it’s like.  How did you like it?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 11 November 2008 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Bungalow Barbara - 10 November 2008 06:42 PM

I used a long, narrow tart pan. I think it’s about 13 inches long by 4 inches wide.

Very, very nice!  I love how the lemon slices are “displayed” on such a long tart.  Beautiful!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 11 November 2008 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-24
Julie - 10 November 2008 11:20 PM

What a beautiful pie, I love the shape of your tart pan!  And I’m so happy you baked up that recipe, I’ve been wondering what it’s like.  How did you like it?

Oh, I didn’t even mention the taste? My bad! I LOVE it. It is very lemony, quite intense. Some people might not like it. If you prefer British-style tart orange marmalade to American-style sweet orange marmalade, you’ll love Shaker lemon pie or tart. Also, be sure to add salt to the filling. Salt decreases your perception of bitter flavors, so it helps with the bitterness of the lemon rind.

The Meyer lemons have a wonderful floral, spicy aroma and are not as acid as regular lemons. Unfortunately they cost a lot more and are only available in a limited season (at least here in Wisconsin, where all lemons have to be shipped in). The season starts about now (November) and runs until February or March or so. More info here.

There are recipes for Shaker Lemon Pie in Rose’s Pie and Pastry Bible, Bernard Clayton’s Complete Book of Pastry, and Carole Walter’s Great Pies & Tarts. (The latter recipe uses part oranges and part lemons.) There are also several recipes on Martha Stewart’s Web site.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 11 November 2008 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks so much for the tasting notes!  I love lemon so much, I’m eagerly waiting to see if my area will get any meyer lemons this season.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour