cream cheese in flaky pie dough
Posted: 01 August 2013 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

Rose’s Favorite Flaky and Tender Pie Crust” recipe doesn’t specify what kind of cream cheese.  I assume she’s referring to the standard Philadelphia Cream Cheese. I’ve attempted the dough with other local brands of cream cheese including some organic cream cheeses.
I think I’ve noticed an effect similar to adding to much water to a pie dough and wonder if it’s possible that the water content of cream cheese may vary.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Can anyone verify that it’s Philadelphia Cream Cheese that is the standard in the recipe?

Thanks

Posted: 01 August 2013 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

Philadelphia Cream Cheese is what I always use.  But I cannot verify a brand.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 02 August 2013 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Philadelphia will work quite well and allow you to rule out the cream cheese as a source of any problems or issues.  That said, I’ve not had any problems using other cream cheese brands, I find the recipe a bit more forgiving in that respect than, say, a cake or cheesecake recipe.  I have not tried to use a low fat or fat free cream cheese, as the fat is necessary to coat the flour proteins and limit gluten formation.  Once I tried sour cream but it wasn’t nearly as good as the cream cheese version.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls