Does WC Cream Cheese BC Pair Well w/Chocolate Domingo Cake?
Posted: 11 August 2013 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-06-25

Hello Everyone - Thanks for all the tips and great insights over this summer. I researched all winter to be proficient enough to make a wedding cake for a young family friend this summer. The “Reader’s Digest” version of this story is that instead of making the ONE wedding cake I thought I was making, I am now on my third - all for friends of the family as wedding gifts. (I’m calling this, “The Summer of LOVE”!) Rose’s books and this forum have meant ALL the difference in my baking this summer. I already owned TCB but now am also the happy owner of Rose’s Heavenly Cakes too.) My question regards any opinions on pairing of Roses WCCCBC frosting for the Chocolate Domingo Cake. This bride requested 3 different flavors/fillings for the tiers, (6” Almond Poppy Seed, 10” Yellow, 14” Choc Domingo) but I want them all to have the same frosting so it actually looks like a wedding cake. Something I read on the forum said “some people don’t like cream cheese and chocolate”, but I thought that was a pretty standard pairing. Now I’m wondering if they were talking about making a Chocolate CC frosting. I wasn’t going to make a test cake for that, but maybe I should?

Posted: 11 August 2013 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

The first time I had someone ask for cream cheese frosting with chocolate cake, I though it was unusual; and then I tasted it, and found it was wonderful. So go for it! smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 12 August 2013 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi SR,
The Domingo is a great cake and really doesn’t need frosting at all—but, of course, for a wedding you MUST!!! smile  I think the WCCCBC would be great paired with the other flavours, but off hand, I’m not sure if I would pair it with the Domingo.  I’d suggest making some cupcakes and trying it before you go through the work and expense of doing an entire wedding cake and using all that chocolate!!!  If you’ve never made the WCCCBC, also be aware that it’s a bit on the softer side, so if you are expected to do a fair bit of piping, it’s a bit more finnicky that a regular buttercream.  That said, I’ve done basketweave with it and just had to keep a few bags in rotation to ensure it didn’t soften too much.  If you want a more stable frosting that’s glorious to pipe with, the white chocolate mousseline is excellent and wouldn’t have the cream cheese and white chocolate pairing.  From experience, some pairings don’t work as one would expect.  I do know the Caramel Silk Meringue Buttercream is excellent with the Domingo, but that would not work with the other two :(

FYI, Rose has a recipe for the Pavarotti which uses white chocolate, but is still a chocolate cake…perhaps that would be the ideal mate for the WCCCBC and still be a tenor cake smile  I have yet to try it so I’m going out on a limb here:
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2012/06/a_new_cake_for_fathers_day.html

Posted: 12 August 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

In line with what the others are saying, I would whip up a tiny batch of both the cream cheese frosting and the domingo (cupcakes) for tasting.

I also agree that the white chocolate mousseline goes with just about anything, I have paired it with chocolate cakes a number of times.  It will not be so soft for piping as the cream cheese buttercream.  If it were me, that is the frosting I would choose as it is so stable for both piping and holding up during the display period.  It does not have the tart flavor elements (cultured dairy, lemon juice) that make some people wonder about pairing the cream cheese frosting with chocolate.  I like it best with either Green and Black’s or Valrhona white chocolate. 

All that said, perhaps take a look at the red velvet cake in RHC, it is a mildly chocolate cake paired with a version of the cream cheese frosting that includes almond extract.  Perhaps that version of the cream cheese buttercream is the one to pair with chocolate.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 12 August 2013 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

I think you’re quite safe with a cc frosting, even with chocolate—you are including two other cake flavors for those who might not like chocolate and cc.  I think people might think the idea is strange, but I would be that chocolate is one of the most popular flavors of cheesecake!  I’d go for it!

Julie’s suggestion - using almond - is also good, as almond will go great with all the cake flavors you’ve chosen, as well.

Posted: 12 August 2013 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

Here I was thinking you meant the white choc cc buttercream as a filling for just the chocolate layer; not all three - sorry!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 14 August 2013 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

THANK’S EVERYONE FOR ALL THE IDEAS AND COMMENTS! All insightful and instructive. I did a “test” run on the Domingo tonight because I needed to check my conversion measurements (from a single 9” to a single 14”) and it did not work out! (It was only a “test” because it flopped smile Because the wedding is Friday and I am getting nervous, I decided to make Rose’s Chocolate wedding cake from the back of TCB instead. I am definitely going to use the WCCCBC as planned though, as I tested the flavor with my leftover Domingo and it was delicious! I actually made a large batch of the WCCCBC yesterday and left out some of the lemon juice due to tart flavor. I’m intrigued with the idea of almond and will look into that - it sounds wonderful and would definitely pair well with each different cake flavor.

Now I am wondering if I am going to end up with dry cake because of my timing - If I make the 14” chocolate cakes Wednesday, do I refrigerate or FREEZE them overnight??? I’m hoping to split, fill and frost them Wed too.

One more question - is it necessary to use a core for baking in the 14’ pan? I’ve used it before and it has worked, but this time around it messed with the cake shape and when I went to put the plug in the cake, it didn’t actually fit well and made a well in the top of the cake. I thought I saw a post or? where Rose used a rose nail, pointy side up to more evenly distribute the heat on the larger pans?

Once again, THANK YOU ONE and ALL!

Posted: 14 August 2013 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

I see on the Chocolate Tiered Wedding Cake that it should store fine in the refrigerator for 5 days….. so that is what I’ll do.

Posted: 14 August 2013 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Good to know that the cream cheese frosting worked out smile

Yes, Rose likes to use a flower nail in the center of larger cakes to help them bake more evenly.  It’s probably a good idea to use one in a cake as large as 14” to reduce the risk of the edges getting dried out and overbaked by the time the center is baked.  Cake strips would help, too.

Good luck with the wedding and cake!

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2013 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

THANK YOU Julie!

Posted: 15 August 2013 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Good to hear you have a plan!  And yes…almond extract would be preferable to lemon with chocolate smile IF you are storing for several days, I’d suggest going with the sugar syrup.  I did it for a white wedding cake (14”) and it was excellent…and I usually don’t care for syrup. 

Do post pics when you are done!!!

Posted: 31 October 2013 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

I’m just getting back to post the resulting cake which was the subject of many questions this past Aug…Nothing seemed to go right with this one, but the final product came out fine. This is the side of the cake. I brought the chocolate as a side cake. Thank you everyone for instructive comments and ideas. What a wonderful community.

Image Attachments
Alm_Poppy_Seed_w_Marion_Filling.jpgChoc_Wedding_side_cake.jpg

Posted: 02 November 2013 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Your cakes look beautiful and sound delicious!  Glad everything worked out in the end smile

Signature