Retirement Cake
Posted: 15 August 2013 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Hello everyone.  I made this cake for our lab manager for her retirement party ( It was actually a forced early retirement because of cutbacks )

It is the downey yellow butter cake, but I used vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla extract.
The filling is cocoa whipped cream mixed with chocolate shavings and the icing is the white chocolate mousseline tinted pale yellow.

I also discovered a great way to get a really smooth finish on the mousseline.  I put a very thick coating of icing all over the cake and put it in the fridge to harden really well.  Then with my turntable and bench scraper, I just slowly started to scrap away the extra icing until it was smooth.  I was super happy with the results.  But I think that it will only work with icing that gets rock hard in the fridge, ie- lots of butter in it. 

The magnolias and leaves are made out of gumpaste.  I wanted to put ribbon around the bottom of the cake, but ran out of time to go out and get some. 

Image Attachments
getcontent2.jpggetcontent3.jpg

Posted: 16 August 2013 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, it’s awesome! big surprise

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a perfect corner between the sides and top of a cake before, must try this technique pronto.  That is the single hardest thing for me.

Love the cocoa whipped cream/chocolate filling idea and the beautiful yellow color with those lovely flowers.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 16 August 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow, Liza!  That’s beautiful!  Like Julie, I tripped on both that amazing corner and the chocolate whipped cream with chocolate shavings ... that sounds fabulous.  Can’t go wrong with the downy yellow!  Your flowers are beautiful!  You gumpaste artists are amazing!

Posted: 16 August 2013 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2012-01-12

Very nice Liza.  very elegant.  Love the flowers too.

Posted: 17 August 2013 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks everyone for your kind compliments.  I was very happy with this icing technique.  I usually always use a bench scraper dipped in hot water and wiped dry to smooth the icing but I always found it smeared the icing, like there was two colors to it.  I like this way, much better.  But I had to really pack the icing on super thick so that when I scraped it off I didn’t get too close to the cake, or have the cake showing through the icing.  The end result was a very smooth finish, but not too thick.  I don’t like a lot of icing on a cake, especially a very rich one like mousseline.

The sad part was that the restaurant that we held her party, in a private room, wouldn’t let me serve the cake because I was not “” a certified baker””  mad  I was not impressed.  So,  I could have brought in a store bought cake that tasted like crap, and that would have been fine.  Needless to say they got no tip from me that night, and I won’t be visiting their establishment again, EVER!!!!.  My boss ended up taking the cake home and sharing it with her family.  She froze the rest of the cake and we are going to have it in the fall when she has a get together with us.

I was so disappointed because I spent so much time on this cake, especially the flowers,  and no one could eat it.

Posted: 17 August 2013 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi Liza,
I have also used a similar way to ice a cake, but instead of using the flat bench scraper, I used a sponge paint roller (brand new and sterilized) once the icing has crusted. I know what you mean, it saves a lot of time and you get the results you want.

Posted: 18 August 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Wow! Stunning cake and flowers!

Posted: 18 August 2013 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

Beautiful cake, Liza!!  By the way, when I want to take cake to a restaurant, I always call and ask.  Because as someone reported, they may also assess a plating charge. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.