cream pie and whipped cream
Posted: 16 August 2013 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2013-06-12

in the recipe it says, before serving whip the cream and put on top of the filling. I haven’t made this in a while. If I whip the cream, will it remain whipped or does it need to be stabilized. It has sugar and vanilla extract added. I assume sugar is the stabilizer. I guess this is kind of a dummy question I guess…
I have light cream I was going to use that instead of full-fat

Also I wonder has anyone ever tried using cream of coconut instead of coconut milk.

Posted: 16 August 2013 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18
sweetcate - 16 August 2013 02:04 PM

in the recipe it says, before serving whip the cream and put on top of the filling. I haven’t made this in a while. If I whip the cream, will it remain whipped or does it need to be stabilized. It has sugar and vanilla extract added. I assume sugar is the stabilizer. I guess this is kind of a dummy question I guess…
I have light cream I was going to use that instead of full-fat

Also I wonder has anyone ever tried using cream of coconut instead of coconut milk.

SWEETCATE:
    Good afternoon.  Light cream contains (also known as table cream)  only 16 to 22% butterfat This ingredient will not whip. Try to secure at least “LIGHT WHIPPING CREAM” that will whip up…... it has 30 to 35% butterfat in it.

Cate if you wish to stabilize whipping cream you can with GELATIN. Marshmallows are just full of this ingredient. Take one & cut it up in half…. micro wave it for about a few moments just to soften it up then whip it up witth the partially whipped up cream….it will help your dessert quite a bit.

Cate I do not think cream of Coconut milk will whip up because it doesn’t contain the properties of “BUTTER FAT”

Good luck Cate & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 16 August 2013 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2013-06-12

ok well that is a good tip about the table cream. It does say light cream and not the whipping stuff, so glad I didn’t go ahead and try it and it not work.
The cream of coconut isn’t for the topping, it was going to be for the filling (base)..but I will probably just stick with the coconut milk.
I was just going to try and use up some stuff on hand.
Thank you! Good tip about the marshmallows too smile