My Biggest Compliment
Posted: 12 November 2008 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

This past week end I was out of town attending a conference.  My two nephews have their birthdays very close together, and my sister usually plans one party for the family to celibrate the two birthdays.  Unfortunately, with everyone’s schedules being what they are, we are combining the celebration with thanksgiving.  This past Saturday, my sister decided to provide her boys with a cake for their birthday so they shouldn’t have to wait sooooo long for birthday cake.  She dutifully prepared a boxed cake mix and iced it with canned frosting…she wrote their names on top….sang the song and served the cake.  The little one (just 6 years old)  took one bite and exclaimed: “this doesn’t taste like Uncle Billy’s cakes”.  I promised him his own birthday cake at thanksgiving!  Rose has spoiled them forever lol.

Posted: 12 November 2008 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

Ooh, when go scratch you never go back! But from the mouth of a child- what a huge compliment!

I have to say, though, that the canned frosting is probably what killed it. I agree with Anne Byrn (Cake Mix Doctor) that you can get away with a doctered boxed cake mix, but that there is no excuse for canned frosting. The frosting must be made from scratch.

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 12 November 2008 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

That is a great compliment Bill! My 4-year old great niece only eats the frosting of other people’s cupcakes then passes the nude cake bit to her mom, but with mine (using Rose’s recipes) she eats the whole thing cake and all smile  Yes, Rose has definitely spoiled all the kids in my family… and the adults too!

Posted: 13 November 2008 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Bill - 12 November 2008 04:44 PM

The little one (just 6 years old)  took one bite and exclaimed: “this doesn’t taste like Uncle Billy’s cakes”.  I promised him his own birthday cake at thanksgiving!  Rose has spoiled them forever lol.

Wow! Bill that is quite a compliment. Kids are so honest!

My daughter once told one of my friends who offered her a piece of cake “we don’t eat store bought cakes, mummy bakes all the time”. I wanted to shrivel up and die. My daughter was four at the time. Fortunately my friend is not petty minded and didn’t get offended. She actually found it hilarious. Still…......I felt so bad and in some weird twisted way I was secretly proud of my daughter for appreciating quality. Rose HAS spoiled us all.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 13 November 2008 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Ha!  I love it…. nope, boxed cake mixes and canned frostings just won’t do when you’re used to Rose’s recipes! smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 13 November 2008 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratualtions, Bill, you’ve won over the toughest of critics!  Kids are so honest at that age, but not too young to appreciate a delicious cake!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 02 December 2008 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-12-20

“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it”

My boys declined cake at every birthday party they ever went to after they were old enough to speak.  Your nephews will thank you for this lesson his whole life!  I can see them with their own whisks for next year’s birthday gift!

Posted: 03 December 2008 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Actually, we are still at the lego and remote controlled toy stage…at least for this year.
LOL

Posted: 03 December 2008 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

I finally got to bake the birthday cakes for my sister’s boys.  One wanted carrot cake WITHOUT RAISINS! (6 year olds are very insistant)...and the other wanted Devil Dog cake (Chocolate cake with white chocolate mousseline)...we served them on thanksgiving…and they were inhaled….two happy boys.

Posted: 03 December 2008 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Bill - 03 December 2008 07:51 PM

I finally got to bake the birthday cakes for my sister’s boys.  One wanted carrot cake WITHOUT RAISINS! (6 year olds are very insistant)...and the other wanted Devil Dog cake (Chocolate cake with white chocolate mousseline)...we served them on thanksgiving…and they were inhaled….two happy boys.

I’d like a piece of the devil dog cake please… just a sliver smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 03 December 2008 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Devil dog cake sounds yummy! My MIL wants me to make a cake this weekend - thanks for giving me the idea Bill.