Scaling the chiffon layer for different pan sizes
Posted: 18 August 2013 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

I’d like to try the chiffon layer cake in RHC, but I don’t have a 9x2.75 or 9x3 in springform pan. I do have a 8x2.5 in springform pan and and a 10 in. diameter springform pan (I don’t want to do use that one).

Can I do a simple linear scaling to fit the 8x2.5 in pan? The chiffon layer is essentially the same recipe as the Orange Glow Chiffon for the tube pan, but with unbleached AP flour instead.

I saw on Hector’s blog that he baked the chiffon layer in a 9x2 heart pan. He didn’t mention that he made any adjustments to the recipe.

http://hectorwong.com/category/sponge-cakes/orange-glow-chiffon-layer-cake-page-203/

But I wonder if there needs to be adjustments to the proportions of ingredients when simply changing the pan size, since there is baking powder in the recipe (10 g for a full tube pan recipe or 0.08% by weight of all the ingredients).

For butter cakes, the proportion of baking powder used needs to be adjusted when changing pan sizes and not in a simple linear scaling fashion. Does this apply for the chiffon layer, and how should I adjust the baking powder? I suspect it might not be the same as the guidelines Rose describes for her butter cakes. Anything else that needs to be adjusted?

I hope to successfully bake a chiffon layer without having to buy another pan! 8x2.5 is close enough, I think!

Posted: 18 August 2013 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

The volume of an 8 x 2.5 pan is 72% of a 9 x 3 or 66% of a 9 x 2.75 pan.  Looks like 2/3 might be a convenient scaling factor for your pan.  I would scale the baking powder along with everything else and not try to adjust in the same manner that butter cakes call for- partly because this is a sponge cake and partly because going smaller is easier and less problematic than going larger.  Bake time will be a little less, but probably only by 5 minutes or so. 

Also, I would use the formula in RHC as it has a little more egg yolk for stability in the layer format (vs. tube pan).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 20 August 2013 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

Thanks Julie! That makes things simpler. I’ll let you know how the layer chiffon goes.