strengthening mousseline for hot weather.
Posted: 18 August 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

I love love LOVE white chocolate mousseline , its my absolute favourite to make and eat . However , its super super super hot where i live right now and i cant help thinking if theres any way for me to strengthen the mousseline somehow.. i do get some sugar syrup gettin stuck in the pan..so i dont know if that could attribute to my mousseline being a little on the softer side. I recall reading on one of the threads about making a percentage of extra syrup. Does anyone know exactly how extra sugar and water to take? And would that do the trick of making the mousseline more stable? OR how about increasing the temperature of syrup a few degrees higher? Or would that just work adversely?
Need to make a batch tomorrow so any immediate suggestions would be of much help. THANK YOU !

Posted: 18 August 2013 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Hello Chocoholic

I do not call reading about making an extra percentage of syrup…but perhaps I had since I often do that.  I just make 10% more.  I do not recommend going a higher temperature with the sugar syrup.  Make certain your meringue is cooled before you add it to the butter or the butter to it.  You may put the meringue in the fridge as Rose suggests in RHC or just wait it out.  I have never specifically made the white chocolate mousselline. 

Hope this helps a little. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 19 August 2013 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Have to agree with CRenee, I would consider increasing the syrup amount but avoid increasing the temp.  If you aren’t scraping the syrup pan, you may be leaving quite a bit behind. 

I have heard professional bakers say that the frosting will be firmer if the butter is firmer- so consider mixing the meringue and butter together when both are at about 68-69F, you can use water baths or the refrigerator on the meringue, just be sure to cover it and to whisk it occasionally after the initial cooling-while-beating period.

Lastly, I think I have noticed that the frosting can be firmer at 250 than at 248F, but if you go much above 250F it will be so firm that it will be unpleasant to eat and nearly impossible to pipe.

Good luck, hope you’ll post pics smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 19 August 2013 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

great thanks a lot ! So do u reckon i should go with 10 percent more of the syrup or 30 percent more? i recall reading on some thread abt making 30 percent more…

Posted: 21 August 2013 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

I am not that good at the science of it.  I just know I do 10% or so.  Why not try 10 to 15 and see what happens before increasing it too dramatically.  Also make certain your butter is at right temp and softness (not hard, not too soft).

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.