1 whole egg
1 cup whole milk (237 ml), at room temperature
2-1/4 teaspoons (12 ml) pure vanilla extract
3 cups (345 g) cake flour, sifted
2 cups (400 g) sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon (17 g) baking powder
3/4 teaspoon (5 g) salt
12 tablespoons (170 g) unsalted butter, cold and cut into 24 even pieces

Every time i make this cake - it tastes great but it is always dry.
I am using both a 8 x 3in and 6 x 3in fat daddios pan with cake strips.  The cake is level when cooked with the strips, but if i wait until the center is completely done the cake is dry.  If i don’t wait until the center is done, it is “gooey” inside the center.  Everyone claims the cake is fluffy and moist - yet mine isn’t….

Can anyone help me as to what i might be doing wrong - or point me to a better White Vanilla Cake Recipe?  I am trying to perfect the “moistness” for a wedding that i am doing in Oct….

Thanks!
LittleLottie

Posted: 21 August 2013 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

Is everyone else using 3” pans?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 21 August 2013 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

HI Charles -
I like the 3” pans from Fat Daddios - i take it that you are using a different height? 
Maybe i should try the recipe in 1.5” pan (or what ever the “normal” height is?

Posted: 21 August 2013 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
littlelottie - 21 August 2013 09:59 PM

HI Charles -
I like the 3” pans from Fat Daddios - i take it that you are using a different height? 
Maybe i should try the recipe in 1.5” pan (or what ever the “normal” height is?

Most people here are probably using 2” pans, and most of Rose’s most recent recipes use that height. The deeper your layer of batter, the longer it takes for heat to penetrate to the interior. The outer layers can certainly get overbaked before the interior gets done, although I don’t know if 3 vs 2 is enough to make a huge difference. The deeper the batter, the more common it is to have a lower baking temperature to allow more time for the heat to penetrate.

Rather than trying a 2” pan, you might try dropping a flower nail into the center of the cake batter; if it is an issue of heat penetration, that will help.

There are, of course, a whole host of other possible causes of the dryness, but this one was the easiest to point out. You know the old joke about the drunk looking for his car keys under the street light because the light was better there….

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 August 2013 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

HI Charles -
Thanks so much for the advice - i never heard of the flower nail.
I was going to try both ways - the shallow pan and the flower nail - see if that is an issue!
BTW - love the old joke!

Posted: 22 August 2013 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2007-11-18
littlelottie - 21 August 2013 04:37 PM

Hello Everyone!
I need help - I am using the following recipe that is a “take off” of Rose’s -

5 large egg whites (150 g), at room temperature
1 whole egg
1 cup whole milk (237 ml), at room temperature
2-1/4 teaspoons (12 ml) pure vanilla extract
3 cups (345 g) cake flour, sifted
2 cups (400 g) sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon (17 g) baking powder
3/4 teaspoon (5 g) salt
12 tablespoons (170 g) unsalted butter, cold and cut into 24 even pieces

Every time i make this cake - it tastes great but it is always dry.
I am using both a 8 x 3in and 6 x 3in fat daddios pan with cake strips.  The cake is level when cooked with the strips, but if i wait until the center is completely done the cake is dry.  If i don’t wait until the center is done, it is “gooey” inside the center.  Everyone claims the cake is fluffy and moist - yet mine isn’t….

Can anyone help me as to what i might be doing wrong - or point me to a better White Vanilla Cake Recipe?  I am trying to perfect the “moistness” for a wedding that i am doing in Oct….

Thanks!
LittleLottie

LITTLELOTTE:
  Good morning. The recipe is just slightly out of balance. Lotte, notice the weight of the sugar (400gr/14, oz) Then notice the weight of the Cake flour at (345gr). too much sugar for the flour to absorb so easely. This recipe is getting very close to a “HI~RATIO CAKE FORMULA) where special emulsifieres should be employed. (That is a condition where the sugar exceeds the weight of the flour)

Lotte, my opinion why the middle gets gooey is that the sugar is not fully melting in the allotted baking time. My suggestion use fine sugar…make your own by placing the sugar in your food proc or blender & give it a few 20 second twirls.  Sugar in this condition will melt easier & quicker.

Lotte, the other question is the direction for you to employ “COLD BUTTER”  COLD BUTTER does not absorb LIQUIDS VERY
EASY.
  In creaming the butter & sugar the butter at 65/67 degrees is considered optimum.

Lotte, My suggestion to you for moistness….remove 1,3/4, oz of sugar & add same amount of honey soon after creaming is completed. In employing honey we need to reduse the oven temp by 20/25 degrees due to the carmelization effect of the use of honey. Also reduce the baking powder by 1, teasp & ad 1/8th tsp (1/2 of a 1/4 tsp) of baking soda to neutriize the acidity of the honey.

Lotte let us know how well you have done…. we all enjoy reading a suceess story.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 22 August 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
~FRESHKID - 22 August 2013 09:17 AM

In creaming the butter & sugar the butter at 65/67 degrees is consider

She isn’t creaming the butter; note that she said the recipe is a variation of a Rose recipe. Still, it shouldn’t be cold.

And interestingly, Wikipedia lists the melting point of sugar at 366.8 degrees F. The interior of the cake hopefully won’t exceed about 190 F, so the sugar crystals shouldn’t be melting at all.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach