Failure for “Real Old-Fashioned Whipped Cream”
Posted: 23 August 2013 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-08-23

The first time I made Rose’s Real Old-Fashioned Whipped Cream from The Cake Bible, it turned out perfectly.  The next time, however, was a disaster.  I knew the butterfat content the first time, but the supermarket changed brands meanwhile and the new brand doesn’t state butterfat content.  Since I thought it was probably lower, I went with Rose’s higher amount of butter.  I multiplied it by the number of cups of cream and proceeded the same way.  Almost immediately after adding the cooled butter-cream mixture, the content of the bowl became as thick as whipped butter, then separated into butter and a watery substance.  Nothing I did could bring them back together.  I had to run out to the store and get more cream.  The same situation appeared to be on the verge of happening, so I stopped and just used the whipped cream with a small amount of butter already added.  Any idea what could have happened?  I brought the butter mixture to room temperature and I added it very slowly to the cream mixture.

Thanks for any help,
Jim