Not a Rose cake, but uses several Rose techniques…
Posted: 23 August 2013 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

This butter cake is a caramel cake from Southern Woman a few years back.  It uses equal volume—and thus 2x by weight—of sugar:flour.  This is 2x what Rose (generally) uses, so I used her tecnique for the angel food cake in RHC—adding grated unsweenened chocolate to the batter.  I grated 1 oz of frozen unsweetened chocolate, and I tossed it with the last flour addition for a tweeded caramel cake that isn’t too sweet.

For the ganache, I had 10 oz. of yummy, orangy syrup left over from making orangettes.  It was about the thickness of corn syrup, and Rose says corn syrup is about half the sweetness of sugar by volume, so I guestimated that I had about 5 oz sugar, 5 oz water in my 10 oz.  I made a “regular” ganache (50% cream, 50% chocolate), but I used a darker chocolate (to compensate for the sweet syrup), and I used a bit less cream (because of the added water), but not too much less cream (because darker chocoalte requires more liquid).  It took a long time to set up, about 14 hours, but it was great!

The filling is the wonderful hazelnut praline paste mixed with butter.  Read: semi-liquid toffee!  Yum!

The cake was quite delicious, and everyone loved it.  Although we all agreed it was high on the list, it wasn’t the #1 cake. Currently, the #1 fave around the office is the lemon cake with honey pistachio frosting (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/5075/), which is tied with the Bobby Flay Coconut Cake.

—ak

Image Attachments
Whole_Cake_(small).jpgCut_Cake_Closeup_(Small).jpgCut_Cake_(small).jpg

Posted: 23 August 2013 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

That looks good Anne, and I am so impressed you are able to make variations and adjustment like that. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 24 August 2013 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Caramel, orange and ganache sounds wonderful!  Nice project and lovely cake smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 28 November 2013 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  676
Joined  2012-01-12

Lemon is a universal and most favorite flavor.

Posted: 28 November 2013 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I said it before and it still holds true, I love the way you frost a cake. This cake looks really delish.

Posted: 28 November 2013 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, everyone!  Gee, I must have listed this and then become overwhelmed with this and that—sorry for the the delayed thanks to early replies!

Posted: 01 December 2013 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Wow!
I didn’t quite understand how you made the frosting- did you make a 50/50 ganache and then added some of the orange syrup?
It sound amazing and looks scrumptious nevertheless.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 03 December 2013 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

I missed this one…that cake is calling to be eaten.  So very inviting, Anne.  I, too, am impressed by your ingenuity with flavours and substitutions.

Posted: 06 December 2013 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

I will try this one of these days..looks wonderful

Posted: 14 December 2013 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Caramel is a flavor I will never get tired of. It goes with almost any other flavor.