White Velvet from RHC in a 9 x 13 pan
Posted: 23 August 2013 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi.  I need a tall 2 inch high 9 x 13 white velvet cake.  It is only going to be one layer.  I have read here that the 9 x 13 chart in TCB is a thin layer.  If I double the recipe for the white velvet cake from RHC (2 inch high pan) will it work in a 9 x 13?  Thank you.

Posted: 24 August 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

I have only made the white velvet from the Rose factor section once and that was in the 12” round size.  But I don’t remember it being a particularly thin layer. 

In any event, I’m thinking that you can only really go to about 2/3 full in your pan without running into problems, so that would mean 10.8 cups, let’s say 11 cups maximum of batter.  With a deep-ish layer of batter in a large-ish pan, be sure to use cake strips and perhaps a flower nail, turned upside down in the center to conduct heat.  You might also want to put a little foil or something under the pan in case it overflows, or else line the sides with parchment that extends a little higher than the pan sides in case the cake gets a little exuberant in the oven. 

I’m going to go check about scaling a recipe, I’ll check back in when I can (may be a little while- weekends are for family smile)

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 25 August 2013 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

re: the white velvet from RHC, I’m not sure if you are looking at the white velvet with milk choco ganache, which is a recipe for one 9x2 round, or if you are looking at the choco covered strawberry cake, which is a recipe for two 9x2 rounds.

Because Rose’s wedding cake recipes in the Cake Bible make 1.5” layers, I’m thinking we might assume that the sheet cake recipes from the Rose Factor chart also make 1.5” layers.  So for a 2” layer you may need about 1/3 more batter.  The Rose Factor chart says to use a factor of 3.5-4, and increasing that by a third would give you 4.7-5.3, so if it were me, I’d make a Rose Factor 5 batter with the baking powder from level 6.  So you would need a recipe with 500g each of flour and sugar, and 6.25 tsp (2 Tbs plus 1/4 tsp) of baking powder.

I haven’t made this and can’t confirm that that is the exact amount of batter that would give you a 2” high cake, but that’s where I would start if it were me. Perhaps others will chime in if they have experience with the rose factor sheet pans.

good luck smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe