Confused about Caramel Pots
Posted: 24 August 2013 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-08-23

I have seen that Rose recommends 2 different caramel pots, a Scanpan 2-qt. one and another (available at Bed, Bath & Beyond and through Amazon) holding 1 3/4 qt.  I have come across another one, and it also uses the word “Rose” in its name.  It’s available online on Chefs and also on KitchenKrafts (although the images of the two pans differ slightly in the design of the handle).  This 1-qt. size fits the scale of work I do much better.  But I am cautious about being taken by imposters.  It is even confusing that Rose herself appears to recommend two different caramel pots.

Can anyone clarify the 1-qt. ones that use “Rose” in their name—but not Rose’s full name?  I just don’t want to get a cheap knockoff pot that won’t hold up.  All the pans I mentioned, by the way, seem to have the same price, approx. $70.

Thanks for any assistance,
Jim

Posted: 24 August 2013 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

The Scanpan recommendation occurred long before she had created her own caramel pot, the one you see at Bed, Bath and Beyond. The one at Chefs appears to be her’s, too. Note the product code: CRMP-RLB, which is identical to what appears on Amazon, which has a more accurate product description. The “-RLB” obviously stands for Rose Levy Beranbaum.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 August 2013 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-08-23

Thanks for the insight.  It helps.

Jim

‹‹ ceramics      Angel food cake ››