Milk Chocolate Ganache Cake and Lemon Luscious Ice Cream
Posted: 25 August 2013 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Here are a couple of recent projects- the first is the Deep Chocolate Passion from RHC.  I feel like a bit of a broken record repeating this cake so often, but it is a crowd pleaser and suits kids (not too intense), which I bake for often.  This time I syruped the cake with a milk, cocoa and sugar syrup (used our family recipe for hot chocolate).  This was for a crowd so it was two 10x2 layers.  I used 100% of the 6” + 9” recipe in the wedding cake section of RHC, which works well for 10” pans, baking up into layers that are a good 1.75” tall. 

Cocoa tricks- I used hershey’s special dark for this, which is quite dark and also fairly mild compared to other cocoas.  It is a lower fat cocoa, I used 80% cocoa and 20% unsweetened chocolate to correct the cocoa butter content.  Finally, to keep the cake from being too black and too mild/dulled in flavor with this particular cocoa, I subbed 1/4 tsp baking soda with 1 tsp baking powder, which seemed to work out fine.  In previous versions of this cake made with this cocoa I have subbed out a little more of the baking soda, but this was a convenient measure so I went with it.

On to the frosting- Milk chocolate ganache from TCB.  I have to say that I have made this ganache twice in recent months and both times it has turned out really, really well.  I have needed to strain the ganache when pouring it from the food processor into the bowl, as the lower proportion of cream to chocolate (compared to dark ganache) makes it hard to do a thorough job of melting all the chocolate in the food processor.  I think straining, and also adding a little extra liquid (I added 11g extra), helped to keep this very smooth and shiny.  It was a little too soft, though and I was a little too rushed (no time to chill the cake or ganache), you can see that I ran into trouble with the sides of the cake, which show a little settling of the layers and a rounded upper edge.  But in the end it was pleasing to the kids and they pronounced it delicious, so all was well. smile

Image Attachments
Milk_Chocolate_Ganache_small.jpgMilk_Choc_Ganache_Cake_small.jpg
 Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 25 August 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Here’s a photo of a slice so you can see the texture and relative colors of the cake and ganache.

Image Attachments
Milk_choco_ganache_slice_small.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Next up is Rose’s Lemon Luscious Ice Cream from the Pie/Pastry Bible.  This ice cream is to die for- I have made it several times this summer and always to rave reviews.  People that I served it to in June still remembered it and mentioned it when I saw them weeks later.  The formula is based on lemon curd, and since I use 38-40% pasteurized heavy cream, I find that it needs a little less of the rich cream than the recipe calls for to keep from being too rich.  I used 290g 40% cream and 182g whole milk.  I also subbed 3/16 tsp Boyajian lemon oil for the zest in the curd (this is great, but is a maximum amount, any more would be too strong).  Last note I have is that I’ve made it both with and without the optional vodka, and I find the texture much better- softer and creamier- with it.

Image Attachments
Lemon_ice_cream_small.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2013 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

Your chocolate cake looks extremely luscious, Julie, I am not at all surprised that it was so well received!  In the picture of the cut slice it is easy to see how moist the cake is, a sure sign of a cake to be enjoyed.  I do like the way you piped the ganache too.

Unfortunately I do not have the Pie & Pastry book, about the only one I don’t have, but the ice-cream recipe sounds lovely, I make ice-cream quite often so it would be nice to try this one.  I usually use recipes from David Lebobitz or another British book which is very good by Caroline Liddell and Robin Weir.  To be fair to Rose, I think all of her recipes for whatever stand up to the competition from others very well.

Posted: 25 August 2013 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  602
Joined  2007-11-18
Julie - 25 August 2013 11:14 AM

Here are a couple of recent projects- the first is the Deep Chocolate Passion from RHC.  I feel like a bit of a broken record repeating this cake so often, but it is a crowd pleaser and suits kids (not too intense), which I bake for often.  This time I syruped the cake with a milk, cocoa and sugar syrup (used our family recipe for hot chocolate).  This was for a crowd so it was two 10x2 layers.  I used 100% of the 6” + 9” recipe in the wedding cake section of RHC, which works well for 10” pans, baking up into layers that are a good 1.75” tall. 

Cocoa tricks- I used hershey’s special dark for this, which is quite dark and also fairly mild compared to other cocoas.  It is a lower fat cocoa, I used 80% cocoa and 20% unsweetened chocolate to correct the cocoa butter content.  Finally, to keep the cake from being too black and too mild/dulled in flavor with this particular cocoa, I subbed 1/4 tsp baking soda with 1 tsp baking powder, which seemed to work out fine.  In previous versions of this cake made with this cocoa I have subbed out a little more of the baking soda, but this was a convenient measure so I went with it.

On to the frosting- Milk chocolate ganache from TCB.  I have to say that I have made this ganache twice in recent months and both times it has turned out really, really well.  I have needed to strain the ganache when pouring it from the food processor into the bowl, as the lower proportion of cream to chocolate (compared to dark ganache) makes it hard to do a thorough job of melting all the chocolate in the food processor.  I think straining, and also adding a little extra liquid (I added 11g extra), helped to keep this very smooth and shiny.  It was a little too soft, though and I was a little too rushed (no time to chill the cake or ganache), you can see that I ran into trouble with the sides of the cake, which show a little settling of the layers and a rounded upper edge.  But in the end it was pleasing to the kids and they pronounced it delicious, so all was well. smile

JULIE:
  Good afternoon. I am enjoying viewing your cakes. ZLNT artistic talent.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 25 August 2013 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Julie, thank you for the slice photo.  It looks so delicious.  I love the piping also.  I really, really like the DCP cake.  Thank you for the details, now I know if i want to do 10” what to do.  I think you are so creative (and maybe scientific) to figure out how to make all those other adjustments.  This reminds me I need to return to my hunt for the ultimate chocolate cake.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 26 August 2013 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

So beautiful! I love the rosettes!

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 26 August 2013 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words!  smile

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2013 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Julie, beautiful and breath taking work. Very nice!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 26 August 2013 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Those are beautiful, Julie!  You should patent those rosettes.  They are always so lush ... so day looxe !!!! 

You know, everyone loves that Deep Chocolate Passion Cake, and, if it’s the German Chocolate Cake, I just don’t.  I made it once, and everyone went nuts over it.  I couldn’t believe it!  But you are so correct:  it is a crowd pleaser!

I love your contrasting ganaches, too, and how the rosettes go from light to dark brown.

Thank you for the ganache notes, as well!  I haven’t done the milk chocolate, but I’ll have to do that one.  I have some leftover hazelnut filling, and I think it would go well together ... along with some instant espresso.

Posted: 26 August 2013 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, Cookie Monster!

Anne, thank you smile  re: different colors on the ganache, it’s all the same milk chocolate ganache, there was just a beam of afternoon light falling on the cake.  I sort of liked the way it made the cake look, so I took a quick photo.  But I was in a hurry and didn’t take the time to move the cake into more uniform light.

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2013 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

LOL, and I thought it was all planned.  It would be a great idea, though, and it would look marvellous with your rosettes!  All that aside, great job capturing the effect in the picture!!!

Posted: 28 August 2013 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Julie, your cake looks amazing.  The deep chocolate passion cake is my favorite chocolate cake as well.  I have made it numerous times as well, but I haven’t syruped any of my cakes/cupcakes yet.  I just love, love, love the texture of it.  When I make a chocolate cake/chocolate cupcakes, they are usually paired with a rich filling and/or topping.  I like how the cake is so light and moist, and so full of flavor. 

The ice cream looks so luscious.  My husband loves lemon sherbet,  so I imagine he would love lemon ice cream.  I have ice cream custard in the fridge right now to make vanilla bean ice cream and cookies and cream ice cream for my kids birthday on Saturday.  These flavors were specifically requested.

I made the milk chocolate ganache awhile ago and I liked it better than the dark ganache.  It is still in the freezer though, I haven’t tried piping it yet.

And as always, your piping skills are beautiful. smile

Posted: 29 August 2013 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, thanks very much!

I agree completely with you on the lighter, moist flavor and texture of the choco chiffon cake being the perfect foil for rich frostings.  I also use it a lot without syrup, it is great just as is.  It makes fabulous ice cream cake/ ice cream sandwiches, too smile

I have been surprised by how much I like the milk chocolate ganache, I put off trying it, thinking it would be too sweet for me, but paired with this cake, it is perfect.  It might be because I always strain it, but the milk chocolate ganache somehow seems to form a perfectly smooth, shiny texture that pipes beautifully. 

Signature 

Posted: 29 August 2013 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Oh Julie, your cake is stunning! And it looks so moist! Absolutely beautiful.

The ice cream looks dangerous.  Too dangerous to be left with me. I would need a lock on my freezer if it were in my house. Yum!

Posted: 30 August 2013 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks so much, Flour Girl! smile

Signature