Color/flavor issue with “pasture-raised” eggs.
Posted: 28 August 2013 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-06-21

Hi,
I have a dilemma. I’ve been trying to use better/healthier ingredients lately and got a great source for eggs. It’s sort of a friend of a friend who has just a few happy chickens and I get the fresh eggs “right out of the oven”, so to speak.
My issue though, is that when I’m making a pastry dough, white cake or even a yellow cake, the yolk color is soooo strong it makes the color of the finished product(like your All Occassion Yellow Cake) look a little off…not a pretty color. Yesterday I made tarts and the crust tasted quite eggy to me. The cake did a little too, though not quite as much.  I’ve also tried local eggs from farmers markets to see if it was just these particular eggs, but got the same results. I’d hate to go back to eggs from the “horribly-raised/fed who knows what” hens, but color and flavor are important…especially with dessert! Has anyone had this same problem? Any ideas on what I could possibly do?

Posted: 28 August 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-06-21

Thanks. I appreciate the reply.
To be honest, though I weigh most things, I have not done so with eggs and will definitely try it. Hopefully that helps out.
In the case of something like the All Occassion Yellow Cake, could I still use some whites to replace the 6 yolks? I’m not a pro and don’t quite get the science of what happens when you change from all yolks to whole eggs or whites, or a specific combination of the two. Maybe I’m just overthinking the whole thing.