Will this buttercream need refrigeration?
Posted: 29 August 2013 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-06-10

Hi guys! its been ages since i last logged in! smile

I just want to ask…I have always searched for a buttercream that is easy to do, not gritty, not to sweet. Yesterday i have encountered a recipe and will be trying it as soon as i have time. Here is the recipe:

3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup boiling water
1 and 1/3 cup shortening
3½ ounces (7 tablespoons) cool butter, cut into pieces

I just want to ask…What is your opinion regarding the ability of this recipe to stay outside refrigeration? Do you guys think this can be at room temperature and not need refrigeration? Will it spoil or not?

THanks! hope to hear from you guys soon! smile

regards to all!

Posted: 29 August 2013 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Jehuty, since you have not rec’d an answer yet I will give this a try. 

I am not familiar with using this type of frosting, but it appears you have much more shortening than you have butter.  I would think this would hold up for a a few hours, but you do not say how long you need it outside of refrigeration. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 29 August 2013 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

this looks like a half recipe of the Whimsical Bakehouse “house buttercream”; in their book, it says it can be stored at rm temp for 3 days, and refrigerated for 3 weeks.  Hope that helps!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 01 September 2013 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-06-10

Hi guys! THanks for the replies! smile

Well i cannot say how long it will stay outside…i am just in the search for a recipe that says it can live outside refrigeration at least and would really like to try it if it would really live its promise smile

Hmm…is that so Jeanne..thanks for the info! smile So having said that…i can put it on top of a cupcake then let it be outside room temp for 3 days without spoiling? is that right?

Mentioning cupcakes….i just want to know your opinion regarding that issue….I am just so confused with things i read everywhere. Kindly tell me if my observation is correct or not ok? hehehe! Here goes… You bake a cake/cupcake which people say you should NOT refrigerate because it will get dry fast…BUT you put in frosting/icing on it that people now say should BE refrigerated because of threat of spoilage. Soooo…...What should i do then? or what should i believe in now? refrigerate a cupcake/cake or not?! My apologies..am just so confused with the notions said by people. Kindly enlighten me if you guys have any ideas or opinions of it…it would really help me understand more about cakes and their frosting partners smile

More power guys!

Godbless! smile

Posted: 01 September 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

re: loss of moisture: Cupcakes dry out very quickly because their surface area is so large relative to the interior volume.  They will dry out quickly regardless of whether you put them in the refrigerator or keep them at room temp.  If the relative humidity is dramatically different in your room or fridge I suppose that could make a difference, but the large surface area of little cakes is the more important factor.

My first recommendation would be to always make cupcakes the same day they are served, and to frost them as soon as they are cooled after baking.  I always bake cupcakes same day, or else plan on a larger cake if I need to make it up in advance. 

If cupcakes are stored (not my recommendation), steps need to be taken to keep them from drying out- i.e., they need to be wrapped individually in plastic wrap and then foil, or put back into their baking pan (to slow loss of moisture through the papers) and then frosted so that there are no bare edges, then the pan covered.

re:  spoilage:  If either the cupcake or the frosting has ingredients that need to be kept in the refrigerator, then that is where the cupcake needs to be stored.  The cupcake should be brought to room temp for eating, as the flavor and textures are usually better.  The only exception might be a sponge-type cupcake like chiffon with a whipped cream-based frosting.  It remains soft enough to be served from the fridge but will still benefit from some warming to help bring out flavors.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 September 2013 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

We make cupcakes within 24 hours of consumption (meaning if we have an order for cupcakes that are to be picked up on Friday, we bake them Thursday night); they’re frosted/finished then refrigerated until the client picks them up or we deliver them.  We have no control over when the client is serving the cupcakes, we can only go by when they want to pick them up. For an all butter cake or frosting, it needs to be eaten at rm temp so you aren’t eating cold butter, so we tell clients when they should take the cake/cupcake out of the fridge for best results.

So, what Julie said smile  Take your cue from whichever is the most perishable thing.  For the frosting, it means that after 3 days at room temp, you should be discarding it, not trying to buy another 3 weeks by THEN putting it in the fridge..

I wouldn’t necessarily keep this (or anything else) out at rm temp for the maximum allowable time recommended.  If we have buttercream left at the end of the day, we keep it out til the morning; but if it is Saturday and we’re not in til Monday, it goes in the cooler.  That whimsical buttercream stays soft, even when refrigerated so it would go in the cooler.  I’d keep the frosted cupcake in the cooler because it will “keep” longer if it is covered and stored in the refrigerator than at rm temp. Room temp is different depending on where you are, but generally I take it to mean between 65-70 degrees F.  If it’s summer and hot, that changes things.  If it’s winter and cold, that’s another consideration.  For example, in my area, I can leave a covered bowl of ganache on the table in the winter for 2 days with no problems.  But I would only leave it out for half a day in the summer.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 01 December 2013 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Great - Conversation- I usually put all Rose’s buttercream in the Fridge for overnight storage (when decorated) - i assumed because of the butter and eggs, this needs to be done - am I wrong?  FOr example, i will make the buttercream a few days in advance, place in airtight container until use.  Before i use, i let the cream come to room temp.  Decorate the cake (or fill cake) then place back in the fridge for overnight storage before consummation. 

In regards to the cupcake storage - placing them back in the pan is a great idea.  I always try to make the cupcakes the no more than 2 days before eating….i decorate the night before eating, then place them in the plastic cupcake carrying trays that you can get in a cake supply store.  Maybe i will try individually wrapping!