Crusting Buttercream - really? 
Posted: 29 August 2013 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Okay I admit I am a snob.  And, I know cake decorators see an advantage….but in my mind buttercream is not supposed to crust.  IJS (I’m just saying)

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 30 August 2013 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

LOL!  I hear you, I’ve had requests to make bundt-style cakes with “that hard, crispy frosting”, meaning the glaze that has so much sugar it crusts.  Many people think a little crusted glaze on a cake is fine- great, even- but after I agreed, when I looked up a recipe and saw how much sugar was in it, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it and brought something that just had sort of a syrup on the outside.  That glaze episode marked the beginning of my learning how to talk to people about cakes- how to counter a wish with a suggestion of something even better, etc.  I’ve become much better about not agreeing to make anything that I wouldn’t serve in my own home, and I feel OK about nudging a cake conversation in the direction of something I know will be a great pairing. 

No one, ever, has requested a crusting buttercream.  Or fondant.  I think many people truly do not want to eat that stuff, and are moving much more in the direction of finding a presentation appealing because it looks inviting to eat.  Perhaps I’m seeing my own opinion as popular, but it does seem that even food stylists are moving away from “perfect” and towards “inviting”.  Wedding cakes are the only hold out, maybe they will get there someday, too.

Must say I love the trend towards chocolate wedding cakes, and often when someone is talking to me about a cake pairing that I worry about, a suggestion of something chocolate often elicits enthusiasm and then we can happily find something to agree on.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 31 August 2013 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  673
Joined  2012-01-12

People lacking or missing in artistic skills or talent have no choice but to settle for the simple and mediocre. Some people can actually do both, taste and looks. Go to Cake Central, that’s where all the talented bakers and cake decorators are.

Posted: 31 August 2013 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2007-11-27

Cream cheese frosting crusts….. and there’s nothing better with carrot cake and red velvet wink LOL

Talented bakers make people happy with what they make - regardless of whether it is simple or elaborate.  Making someone happy means making what they enjoy eating.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 01 September 2013 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

That’s funny Julie.  I often try to talk folks in another direction.  Of course, I will generally make what they ask after / if I have an opportunity to test it.  Noone has ever asked me for a crusting buttercream - at least by that name.  And, anyone who has tasted the IMBC or SMBC fall in love with it. 
Pretty Cake -  I am not artistic at all - I just aim for a delicious tasting dessert… and hopefully it looks inviting. 
That’s right Julie.—that definitely holds true for one really in the cake business - I did not know cream cheese frosting crusts.  I do not re call ever seeingmy crust… but my objection really is not the crusting - it is the shortening in most crusting buttercreams that I do not like.  I do try to make what folks will enjoy - often they do not know what they have been missing until they have one of my cakes - typically a RLB cake!! 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 01 September 2013 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Jeanne - 31 August 2013 08:20 PM

Cream cheese frosting crusts…..

I learn something every day- never knew this smile  I’ve made RLB’s white chocolate cream cheese frosting a number of times, and I don’t remember it crusting, but I can see how the classic powdered sugar version might crust.

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2013 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2007-11-27

We use a regular cream cheese/butter/confectioners sugar frosting, and if you don’t cover it, it crusts :(  It’s what we offer because of the cost factor (adding in white chocolate means having to charge more)

But any time we make the Whimsical Bakehouse frosting, it NEVER crusts.  It has shortening, butter and conf sugar, and for people who like the sweet stuff, they like it, but I hate using it.  It never firms up because of the shortening, and it never crusts either.  I’m not a fan of the way shortening tastes so I’ve never tried the American buttercream stuff that I’ve heard people talk about - using coffee creamer and conf sugar, shortening and other stuff….

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 02 September 2013 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

@Jeanne, I’m in your camp re: shortening.  I know it has been around for a fairly long time, and that a lot of people use it for all kinds of baking, but I still think of it as Franken-food shock

Signature