Unable to mix flour in making sponge cake
Posted: 30 August 2013 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-08-30

Hi All,

Tried to make sponge cake for few times but all failed as every time when i reach the folding flour stage, the flour fold in always have crumbs and unable to mix well, when i tried to mix it more evenly, the mixture deflated to less than half of its original volume.

Googled some ways like using fresh flour and sift the flour for few times, but it didnt came out well. Hope to seek some advise from here. Thanks.

The recipe i use is as below :

Chocolate sponge cake
Ingredients:
32 g       Vegetable Oil
31 g   Cocoa powder
6       Whole eggs
2       Egg yolks
135 g Caster sugar
1 tsp Salt
21 g       Glucose (optional: to add moisture to the cake)
96 g       Cake flour
1 tsp       Baking soda
21 ml Milk

Method:
1. Warm vegetable oil and mix in cocoa powder until well mixed and dissolved.
2. Preheat oven to 180C
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat whole eggs, egg yolk, caster sugar and salt and beat on high speed until foamy and about doubled in volume and slight yellowish white in colour.
4.  Add in glucose and continue beat on medium speed until ribbon stage (about 3-4cm batter dripping when mixer is lifted up).
5. Sift flour and baking soda over beaten egg mixture. Mix in flour on low speed for 3 seconds just to combine most of the flour. Fold in any remaining traces of flour with rubber spatula.
6. Take 1/3 of the batter and add it into the cocoa powder-vegetable oil mixture to lighten the mixture, mix well. Pour in the chocolate mixture to the remaining batter, together with the milk and fold until well incorporated.
7. Pour in a 9” round pan and bake for 35 minutes or until cook.
8. Leave the cake upside down on a wire rack until cool to avoid deflating.

Posted: 30 August 2013 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2012-01-12

When I make sponge cake, esp the rolled cake, I separate the eggs. I beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold it at the very end into the flour and egg yolk mixture. Folding dry flour mixture is somewhat always a problem. You can be as careful as you can, like making Angel food cake, and you can still miss dry spots and it will come out uneven or flat. This is how I would do it.

Posted: 31 August 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

The two most important skills to learn for making sponge cakes are to whip the eggs for a long time for maximum stability, and to fold minimally for best volume and lightest texture.  Sounds like you’re finding the folding step to be challenging, you’re not alone in that.

My best recommendations for folding are:
-steal a little sugar from the eggs and whisk/sift it with the flour to help break up/disperse the flour and help it to combine with the eggs more easily.
-fold half the flour into the batter until a few dry patches of flour are still showing, then add the other half and fold until all the flour is incorporated.
-use a large balloon whisk and fold by hand, turning the bowl a quarter turn after each pass with the whisk.
-stop folding the moment all the flour appears to be incorporated.  Even one extra pass with the whisk can deflate volume.
-expect the batter to lose some volume during folding, it is inevitable and is built into the recipe.  Look for a soft, light and springy texture in the finished cake to see if you’ve folded successfully.  If the cake is dense, firm and rubbery then you folded too much.

good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 01 September 2013 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-08-30

Thanks pretty cake and Julie, I tried to make again today with both of your tips, it came out perfectly well! This is my first time success of making sponge cake. Many thanks again!