Tried to make sponge cake for few times but all failed as every time when i reach the folding flour stage, the flour fold in always have crumbs and unable to mix well, when i tried to mix it more evenly, the mixture deflated to less than half of its original volume.
Googled some ways like using fresh flour and sift the flour for few times, but it didnt came out well. Hope to seek some advise from here. Thanks.
The recipe i use is as below :
Chocolate sponge cake
32 g Vegetable Oil
31 g Cocoa powder
6 Whole eggs
2 Egg yolks
135 g Caster sugar
1 tsp Salt
21 g Glucose (optional: to add moisture to the cake)
96 g Cake flour
1 tsp Baking soda
21 ml Milk
1. Warm vegetable oil and mix in cocoa powder until well mixed and dissolved.
2. Preheat oven to 180C
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat whole eggs, egg yolk, caster sugar and salt and beat on high speed until foamy and about doubled in volume and slight yellowish white in colour.
4. Add in glucose and continue beat on medium speed until ribbon stage (about 3-4cm batter dripping when mixer is lifted up).
5. Sift flour and baking soda over beaten egg mixture. Mix in flour on low speed for 3 seconds just to combine most of the flour. Fold in any remaining traces of flour with rubber spatula.
6. Take 1/3 of the batter and add it into the cocoa powder-vegetable oil mixture to lighten the mixture, mix well. Pour in the chocolate mixture to the remaining batter, together with the milk and fold until well incorporated.
7. Pour in a 9” round pan and bake for 35 minutes or until cook.
8. Leave the cake upside down on a wire rack until cool to avoid deflating.