Crumbly Chocolate Cake
Posted: 03 September 2013 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-12-16

I have a wedding coming up in two weeks, and I just can’t get the chocolate cake right.  Others have posted the same issue.  It isn’t that it is dry, it just doesn’t hold together.  When cutting, I end up with loads of crumbs, and a slice that looks less than attractive.  I have read posts about adding an extra egg, using AP flour, using syrup…

I plan to use syrup, but I wondering if anyone has any ideas on the other two modifications (or anything else for that matter)?  I will be baking in a 9*13 pan and cutting the appropriate size tiers from there. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 04 September 2013 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Which chocolate cake are you trying to make? Rose has recipes for about a dozen.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 04 September 2013 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-16

Yes, that information would be helpful, wouldn’t it?!  I am using the chocolate cake recipe from the large cake (wedding) section in the back of TCB.  I am scaling that recipe accordingly for a 9*13 pan.

Posted: 04 September 2013 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

If it were me, I would probably make it with bleached AP flour, substituting it by weight for the cake flour, especially if you are planning to syrup it.  Either that or consider the Deep Choco Passion chocolate wedding cake from RHC, it is a sponge cake and holds together reasonably well for slicing, with or without syrup. 

re: adding an extra egg, I have never tried this with the chocolate butter cake that you are making.  However, I have noticed that with some recipes, if you add too much egg, the egg will fall to the bottom of the cake pan and form a rubbery, dense egg layer.  If someone has tried it with the AA choco butter cake and reported a success, then perhaps it is worth trying.

The other thing you could try is using the creaming method, which allows a little more gluten to form than Rose’s preferred method of mixing.  She favors a cake that is velvety and quite tender, finding it her favorite style of cake for eating.  But there can be crumbs when such a tender cake is sliced.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 04 September 2013 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-16

Thank you so much for the suggestions!  If I make the Deep Passion Cake, I would like to try it in a 6” pan first.  Is there a straightforward method for scaling one of the recipes for just the 6” pans?  This leads to the next question; when I make this in the 9x13 pans, which “base” ( 6”/9” or 12” recipe in RHC) recipe do I use, and how should it be adjusted for the different pan size?  Again, thank you so much for the help.

Posted: 05 September 2013 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

It is fairly straightforward to scale the DCP, the baking soda does not need a separate calculation the way it does for butter cakes.

Happy to help scale it, but I need to know how high you want the baked 9x13 layer to be, and how many layers (pans) are you baking from one batch of batter?  There are DCP formulas for 1.25” layers (German choco cake), 1.5” layers (wedding cake) and I have made 1.75” layers from it as well.  I have not made anything higher than 1.75”.

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-16

I have a 7 quart mixer, so I think that I can make a batch for 2 9*13 pans.  The pans are 2” high, so I think either the 1.5” or the 1.75” would be fine.

Posted: 15 September 2013 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-16

I ended up using all purpose flour, and then syruping.  Straight sugar syrup for the raspberry filled layers, and the syrup from the cognac cherries in the top and bottom tier.  People were literally eating the crumbs off the tables.  Check out the photo…

Image Attachments
image.jpg

Posted: 16 September 2013 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Wowie wow wow, it looks fabulous!  You do really beautiful work, and the cakes sound like they were delicious- love anything with brandied cherries, yum.  I apologize for not following up on scaling the DCP, life has been particularly busy lately!

Signature