Three Layer Cakes
Posted: 05 September 2013 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

So I see some bakeries offer three layer cakes.  I do not mean grocery stores but cakeries and such.  Do you think (or know) - are they baking these layers in 3 individual pans?  Are they making them shorter than what we normally bake in the 2” pans?  Just thinking on this subject in case I want to make some three layer cakes.  (Also, thinking about this because I am trying to avoid work from my day job ....since it is not day anymore but I have work to do). 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 06 September 2013 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

We bake in 2” high pans and torte each one in half; we use three halves to assemble a cake smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 06 September 2013 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

thank you, Jeanne.  I was thinking that…. guessing that you have opps to make another cake and can use that extra half.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

There are several 3-layer cakes in the Baked books. They use individual pans.

Posted: 06 September 2013 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27

There are also many recipes that work fine in higher cake pans, which allows all three layers to be baked in one pan and then torted.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 September 2013 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Flour Girl.  I do not have Baked yet.  I should remove the yet part as I am struggling to find space for for the cookbook I have decided to keep.
thank you Charles, I will be on the look out. 

I am considering scaling the two layer recipes and baking in three pans.  that will work fine for 8” and smaller in my oven. 

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2013 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

I myself like tall cakes. I always bake an extra 2 inch in case I need it. If i grin don’t need it, I can always give it to my neighbor. iMHO, short cakes look like pan cakes or hot cakes with icing. To me the taller the cake, the more professional it looks.

Posted: 07 September 2013 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Another consideration for tall cakes is storage…if you are baking for yourself or family, often a really tall cake won`t fit under cake domes.  Just something to consider smile

Posted: 07 September 2013 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12
Sherrie - 07 September 2013 12:16 PM

Another consideration for tall cakes is storage…if you are baking for yourself or family, often a really tall cake won`t fit under cake domes.  Just something to consider smile

The cakes I make do not go in the dome, but only on a stand when show cased like for a wedding or birthday party or any special occasion party esp. W/ tons of decorations on top.

Posted: 07 September 2013 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 06 September 2013 10:35 PM

Thank you Flour Girl.  I do not have Baked yet.  I should remove the yet part as I am struggling to find space for for the cookbook I have decided to keep.

I am considering scaling the two layer recipes and baking in three pans.  that will work fine for 8” and smaller in my oven. 

I hope you get a chance to bake from the Baked cookbooks. There are three now and each have 3 layer cakes.

Baked Bakery has been named #4 America’s Best Bakery by Travel + Leisure.

Posted: 08 September 2013 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Another consideration for tall cakes is storage…if you are baking for yourself or family, often a really tall cake won`t fit under cake domes.  Just something to consider smile[/quote

thank you, Sherrie, that also means they may not not fit in the typical cake boxes I purchase. 

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2013 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
prettycake - 07 September 2013 01:02 PM

The cakes I make do not go in the dome, but only on a stand when show cased like for a wedding or birthday party or any special occasion party esp. W/ tons of decorations on top.

So perhaps they would be good for special occasion.

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2013 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 07 September 2013 11:59 PM
CRenee - 06 September 2013 10:35 PM

I hope you get a chance to bake from the Baked cookbooks. There are three now and each have 3 layer cakes.

Baked Bakery has been named #4 America’s Best Bakery by Travel + Leisure.

I will keep it on the list Flour Girl.  But I have purchased 3 or 4 new cooks in the last 18 months and only baked one or two items from them all combined.  hopefullu. Amazon lets you take a sneek peek.  I really am no longer fond of books not providing the weight of all of the ingredients. 

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2013 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I get books from the library before I buy. As for Baked, I emailed the authors and was told their flour measurement is 139g/cup.