evaporated milk
Posted: 07 September 2013 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2013-06-12

happy saturday everyone. I want to make a basic pumpkin pie, calling for evaporated milk. I don’t have this on hand. I am thinking about, just cooking off some of the water content of my regular milk and using that (after it’s cooled).

I wonder if I can get some feedback on this. I have 2% in my fridge, and condensed milk in my cabinet.

Posted: 07 September 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2012-01-12

I have not done this, but I don’t think it would be the same. I always use what the recipe calls for. I hope it will work for u.

Posted: 07 September 2013 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2007-11-18
sweetcate - 07 September 2013 08:12 AM

happy saturday everyone. I want to make a basic pumpkin pie, calling for evaporated milk. I don’t have this on hand. I am thinking about, just cooking off some of the water content of my regular milk and using that (after it’s cooled).

I wonder if I can get some feedback on this. I have 2% in my fridge, and condensed milk in my cabinet.

SWEETCAKE:
  Good morning. As you know all evoporated milk is,is regular milk that has approx 60% of it’s water removed.

you can do it this way 2/3rds cup of non fat dry milk &  3/4, cup of water mixed together

OR

Simmer the milk you have till it is reduced by 1/2 of the amount you began with. You see milk contains approx 85% water & 2% milk contains approx 92% water

I hope this info will help you. Good luck in your baking & enjoy the rest of the day & the weekend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 07 September 2013 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

All the “boiling or simmering time” you can also use to drive to the grocery to buy a can of evaporated milk. But that is just me.

Posted: 07 September 2013 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2013-06-12

yes I went ahead and bought it. I did see a recipe for it online with the nonfat dry milk version and also, one with butter added to adjust.

I wasn’t going to use the 2%. I know it’s derived from whole milk. I could have played around with the butter and stove stuff, but how can I be sure I have the right percentages in the end. and pumpkin pie is a wet filling

but thanks everyone for input

Posted: 07 September 2013 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
sweetcate - 07 September 2013 04:13 PM

yes I went ahead and bought it. I did see a recipe for it online with the nonfat dry milk version and also, one with butter added to adjust.

I wasn’t going to use the 2%. I know it’s derived from whole milk. I could have played around with the butter and stove stuff, but how can I be sure I have the right percentages in the end. and pumpkin pie is a wet filling

but thanks everyone for input

Wise decision. Now you don’t have to boil and simmer ‘til eternity. grin

Posted: 08 September 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
prettycake - 07 September 2013 03:29 PM

All the “boiling or simmering time” you can also use to drive to the grocery to buy a can of evaporated milk. But that is just me.

Ah, prettycake, you’re always so sensible. grin

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 08 September 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
CharlesT - 08 September 2013 11:01 AM
prettycake - 07 September 2013 03:29 PM

Ah, prettycake, you’re always so sensible. grin

I know, right ? grin  grin grin  now if only I can make my own water from scratch hmmmm:-)

Posted: 08 September 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

Oh wow you all are so funny.  I really laughed out loud. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.