Cake Flour In Place Of Bleached Flour???
Posted: 10 September 2013 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1606
Joined  2011-02-17

My father-in-law loves Rose’s Many Splendid Quick Bread (RHC). I bring him a loaf every time we see him. He likes it toasted. It lasts several days and he really enjoys it.

I started to bake this bread for him today but found I had no bleached flour.  I baked it anyway, using unbleached AP. I have more bananas, can I bake a loaf using cake flour instead of bleached AP flour?

Posted: 11 September 2013 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2007-11-18
Flour Girl - 10 September 2013 04:06 PM

My father-in-law loves Rose’s Many Splendid Quick Bread (RHC). I bring him a loaf every time we see him. He likes it toasted. It lasts several days and he really enjoys it.

I started to bake this bread for him today but found I had no bleached flour.  I baked it anyway, using unbleached AP. I have more bananas, can I bake a loaf using cake flour instead of bleached AP flour?

FLOUR GIRL:
Good morning. You can use it, but the baked product will be very soft. If you have you can blend into the cake flour bread or hi~Gluten flour to bring the protein strength up to approx 10.5% level from the 8% level of cake flour. 

OR
you can add to the stated amount of flour ...in other words increase the amount of cake flour, that will help.
If you have it you can use Vital wheat gluten that as you know will increase the protein strength.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 11 September 2013 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Freshkid. I’ll increase the flour to the stated amount because I don’t have hi-gluten flour. Thanks for your help.

Posted: 16 September 2013 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1091
Joined  2009-05-26

FlourGirl, I’ve had success replacing Bleached Flour with 80% Unbleached and 20% Cornstarch. I’ve been using this formula for cakes and breads.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 September 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Great Jenn, thank you !!

This weekend I brought my father-in-law the cake made with unbleached flour. He LOVED it! He said he is going to stop eating his raisin bread and have Rose’s Many Splendid Cake instead. He lathered softened butter on his slice and. I have to admit, it looked delicious.

I will experiment with your suggestion. Thank you.