NEW Baking Android App - I need your help!
Posted: 11 September 2013 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-09-11

Hi all, I’ve just joined to gather some points of view on a new bakery app I am designing for Android.

I am recently graduated from University and recently for part time work I joined a local artisan bakery to help with the wrapping and packing of loaves and bread. Due to my interest in the baking I quickly began training as a baker. While weighing up dough I found it tricky to calculate and memorise ingredient quantities for the 30+ breads we make in-house, all natural and the old fashioned way. I began to construct a calculator app to display ingredient quantities for however many loaves I needed from a selection list including tin loaves, farmhouse, bloomers, rolls, sticks, sour dough, brioche, special breads and more.

Now I am expanding the app and I want to release it on the Android Market for the public, which is where you guys come in!

I have a few questions:
1. What would you like to see in a baking app? What would help you out the most? Video tutorials on how to roll and shape the dough properly, or even a step by step guide on how to properly prove your doughs?
2. What selection of breads would you most like? Which would be the most popular?
3. How much would you be willing to pay for the app as either through donation or buying? (Of course a free version will be available)
4. Would you be interested in knowing where to source genuine bakery ingredients and tins?
5. I would also like to know what breads you would be most attracted in making?
6. If there is anything else, literally anything then please say. Nine times out of ten it’s possible to do!

Of course I am adding in some features like a favourites list, maybe even statistics, but I need the REAL chefs and bakers to give me their opinion!
Any feedback is greatly appreciated and a special something will be offered to friends of the app upon release!

Many thanks for the input everyone, I greatly look forward to hearing from you!

Oliver.

Posted: 11 September 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18

OLLYGROV:
Good morning. Welcome to our baking forum Oliver. I would like to wish you good luck in your quest.

Enjoy the rest of the day  

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 11 September 2013 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

If you are in the US, you might want to attend the Retail Baker’s Association meeting in October to talk to industry professionals and meet with attendees to get some direct feedback on your questions…. I think you’d have different answers from a bakery owner or a passionate amateur baker and input from both would be helpful.

I think knowing what it looks like if it goes wrong (e.g., what does overproofed dough look like?) is helpful to a new baker.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 11 September 2013 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27

Actually, the app should let you scan the image of bread dough and let you know when it’s perfectly proofed. And it should include a gluten meter.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 13 September 2013 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Do android phones have thermometers? With the recipe and the temperature known the app could calculate the proofing times and automatically set alarms to let the baker know when dough should be ready.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 14 September 2013 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-09-11

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone! Unfortunately I live in the UK so I’ll have to look for Baker events around me. The scanner idea is interesting and so is the thermometer idea, but I think a phone would be impractical to use for those actions providing they can be accomplished without sticking your phone in the dough or a prover! For that reason I think providing information would be a more suitable answer, I will insert video tutorials and what-to-look-out-for’s and make it clear as day. The proving calculator sounds like a great idea and I’ll work on implementing it into the app. Overall I think the app would be better suited to take advantage of digital capabilities to assist the user like the instant ingredients calculating and the video tutorials.

Again, thanks for the feedback and if there are any more suggestions please let me know! smile

Posted: 25 November 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-09-11

Hi Everyone, the first release of the app is out! Please check it out, this is my first app, not making any money out of it and it took up 4 months of my spare time. If it’s helped you then please leave some feedback, and any constructive criticism is very much appreciated, I want to make this better for you!

Please note there will be more recipes including Sourdough and Specialty breads so stay tuned!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ollygrov.doughpro&hl=en_GB