Lumpy “Real Old-Fashioned Whipped Cream”
Posted: 12 September 2013 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2013-01-04

Hi

I wanted light texture whipped cream which has stability for a strawberry short cake (because now here is spring now)so I tried “Real Old-Fashioned Whipped Cream”. It turned out lumpy. What did I do wrong…....?

Also what is the best way to create light texture whipped cream? I didn’t like the whipped cream with gelatin. I tried using mixture of double cream and normal thickened cream (35% fat). It turned out heavy texture.

Posted: 13 September 2013 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

re: lumpy whipped cream, this happens when you overbeat it.  Stop beating when it is thick and will hold a soft peak but is still smooth.

re: how to make it lighter, I would say don’t add butter or stabilizer, and keep it very, very, cold while beating.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 13 September 2013 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2012-01-12

You mean lighter in texture right ? Because cream alone is high in fat, so cream cannot be lightened by itself.  Just whip it ‘til soft peaks form. If all else fail, Cool Whip is always there for emergency use. I know, I know it’s not from scratch grin , just serve it w/ a big smile, they will notice your smile and not the Cool Whip.

Posted: 14 September 2013 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-04

I wonder it was a way I add butter mixture in cold cream. I divided room temp butter mixture in four and added to the cold cream slowly. My bowl and whisk was refrigerated for 15 min before using it.

If I whip really cold single cream, can I keep it for few days? If I use single cream for a cake, it normally will not keep the shape next day and I can see the moisture coming out from cream like a sweat.

I don’t think Cool Whip is available in Australia. I could buy “Dr Oetker Whip it” from European deli. Have you ever try it? If it is so, how does it like? I’d like to try “Cobasan” but I can see it in US online website only.

Posted: 14 September 2013 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2008-01-24

It was the butter. You will not get cold butter to disperse in cold cream. The Dr. Oetker is a good product. Cream of tartar will help prevent over beating.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 14 September 2013 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-04

Thank you for your reply. It was butter…

I try “Dr Oetker next time. I like the idea of less fat for the nutritious point of view.

Posted: 14 September 2013 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

If you want the lightest texture, don’t put anything like starch, gelatin, or butter in your cream, they will all make it more dense.  However, you will not be able to keep it for days, more like an hour or two refrigerated. 

If you go the stability route, there is also cornstarch or cassava/tapioca starch, used according to TCB method.  I fine it is the most foolproof of the stabilizers, and you can cool the thick cornstarch paste in the fridge so that it is less likely to curdle the cream when you add it. 

The butter curdled your cream, partly because it warmed it a bit (it was room temp and your cream need to be whipped while very cold) and partly because it took too long to incorporate it so the cream was overbeaten.

Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2013 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2008-01-24

I was thinking egg whites when I mentioned cream of tartar. Sorry.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 15 September 2013 02:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-04

Thank you for your explanation Julie. What is the TCB method?

Posted: 15 September 2013 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

TCB method means the recipe in the Cake Bible.  Rose has also posted it here: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2006/03/what_is_the_best_way_to_stabil.html

Good luck!

Signature 

Posted: 16 September 2013 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-04

Thank you so much:-)