My eighth wedding
Posted: 15 September 2013 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-12-16

Chocolate cake with moussaline buttercream for filling and frosting, covered with fondant.  Two tiers have cognac cherries, syruped with the liquor from the cherries, and the other two have raspberries, raspberry sauce, and raspberry moussaline.  It was very well received.

Image Attachments
image.jpg

Posted: 16 September 2013 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  680
Joined  2012-01-12

You cake is very nice. It is very elegant and beautiful. I know for a fact that some people here hate fondant and that is an understatement.  iMHO, I think it’s because they do not know how to work with it and not really that it is not their preference w/c sound like an excuse to me. I use fondant a lot.  Really, who wants to show case or present a cake that looks so lame and “naked”. JMHO. I love to work with fondant. There is no limit what you can create and decorate with it. Very nice cake. Everything about your cake is worth raving. Thank you for sharing.

Posted: 16 September 2013 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Very pretty.  Congratulations!!  Sounds delicious too!! 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 16 September 2013 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
prettycake - 16 September 2013 11:35 AM

You cake is very nice. It is very elegant and beautiful. I know for a fact that some people here hate fondant and that is an understatement.  iMHO, I think it’s because they do not know how to work with it and not really that it is not their preference w/c sound like an excuse to me. I use fondant a lot.  Really, who wants to show case or present a cake that looks so lame and “naked”. JMHO. I love to work with fondant. There is no limit what you can create and decorate with it. Very nice cake. Everything about your cake is worth raving. Thank you for sharing.

I do not know that people “hate” it so much as dislike the taste as they have experienced it.  I have seen some beautiful cakes here done in buttercream only.  Some have fabulous piping skills.  And, some do work with fondant.  There is even a recipe in The Cake Bible for fondant and modeling chocolate.  I think you can do some beautiful work with both fondant and buttercream.  I am not a good decorator….but I refuse to do anything that I do not expect to be received as delicious!!  And, I am really envious of those who can pipe so beautifully…... I think it is really tough to do. 

Signature 

Posted: 16 September 2013 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Very beautiful cake.  I love the alternating square tiers.  Very modern looking.

Most people I know do not like the taste of fondant, whether it be homemade, or any store bought brand.  I don’t like the taste of it either, perhaps maybe chocolate fondant is a little more pleasing to my palate.

I agree that cakes can be beautifully decorated with fondant, and you have more decorating options.  I have used fondant accents on a lot of my cakes and it adds a nice touch.  But 9 out of 10 times the fondant is pulled off and left on the plate.

I have honed my skills over the years to get a beautiful smooth finish on my cakes with buttercream icing.  With added fondant, chocolate or gumpaste accents, the cakes look beautiful,  or so I have been told.  I guess it is all a matter of personal preference.  I am not afraid to cover a cake in fondant, I just prefer not to.  Real buttercream icing tastes so much better.

Posted: 16 September 2013 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Liza - 16 September 2013 05:40 PM

Very beautiful cake.  I love the alternating square tiers.  Very modern looking.

Most people I know do not like the taste of fondant, whether it be homemade, or any store bought brand.  I don’t like the taste of it either, perhaps maybe chocolate fondant is a little more pleasing to my palate.

I agree that cakes can be beautifully decorated with fondant, and you have more decorating options.  I have used fondant accents on a lot of my cakes and it adds a nice touch.  But 9 out of 10 times the fondant is pulled off and left on the plate.

I have honed my skills over the years to get a beautiful smooth finish on my cakes with buttercream icing.  With added fondant, chocolate or gumpaste accents, the cakes look beautiful,  or so I have been told.  I guess it is all a matter of personal preference.  I am not afraid to cover a cake in fondant, I just prefer not to.  Real buttercream icing tastes so much better.

I agree about the cake with the alternative square tiers… modern and creative!! 

I, too, do fondant cutouts.  And, I have been practicing covering a cake with fondant.. but it occurs to me I have to put less buttercream and IMBC is so delicious…that is such a shame ot have less of it. 

Signature 

Posted: 16 September 2013 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Gorgeous wedding cake, your work is very elegant!  I love that you made such a beautiful cake with mousseline buttercream, it must have tasted wonderful with the chocolate cake and the cherries/raspberries.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 16 September 2013 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
extraNrG - 15 September 2013 10:15 PM

Chocolate cake with moussaline buttercream for filling and frosting, covered with fondant.  Two tiers have cognac cherries, syruped with the liquor from the cherries, and the other two have raspberries, raspberry sauce, and raspberry moussaline.  It was very well received.

By the way, how much mousselline buttercream did you put under the fondant.  I am practicing fondant and wonder if the cake will hav enough buttercream.  And, do you make your own fondant or do you have a preferred brand?

Signature 

Posted: 16 September 2013 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-16

I make my own, from the recipe in TCB.  On average, I would say that the buttercream is 3/8” thick under the fondant.  Using a bench scraper to get that as close to perfectly smooth as possible and then chilling it allows me to use a fondant layer that is a little thinner than normal.  This is the fourth time I have used this combination, and it has worked well each time. 

Thanks to all for the compliments!  My day job is as an architect, so designs like these cater to my professional passions as well as my creative pursuits.

Posted: 16 September 2013 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-16

One other thing…  If you make your own fondant, do NOT use Crisco.  There are many posts on this, but head to Whole Foods and pick up Spectrum Organics vegetable shortening.  Trying Crisco had me considering finding a tall ledge to jump off of.  It tore with every touch and was, overall, a supremely frustrating experience.  Spectrum brand is somehow magic…

Posted: 17 September 2013 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
extraNrG - 16 September 2013 11:39 PM

One other thing…  If you make your own fondant, do NOT use Crisco.  There are many posts on this, but head to Whole Foods and pick up Spectrum Organics vegetable shortening.  Trying Crisco had me considering finding a tall ledge to jump off of.  It tore with every touch and was, overall, a supremely frustrating experience.  Spectrum brand is somehow magic…

I find your feedback very useful.  Fantastic to know you are an architect.  I have no mechanical or artistic talent.  I am a project manager/process enigneer ...I just follow instrutctions…why I prefer baking to cooking. 

I think I remember trying the fondant recipe in TCB once.  I will give your approach a try.  Of course, I think I may try adding more buttercream in the filling.  Yes, I remember reading about the Spectrum on this forum.  It is the only solid shortening I use.  I am currently testing a fondant recipe by Veena’s Art of Cakes.  She uses butter, cream, gelatin, glycern, flavoring, and of course conf sugar. 

Signature 

Posted: 19 September 2013 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Well done! This cake looks fantastic. smile

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway