golden luxury butter cake in jelly roll pan
Posted: 18 September 2013 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-10-21

Has anyone tried baking a butter cake in a jelly roll pan instead of a round pan? I would like to make the Lemon luxury cake from heavenly cakes into a 3 layer (10x15) rectangular cake to increase servings. I’ve measured my 10x15 jelly roll pan and it holds   about 8.5 cups of water at its brim. I was thinking   i could make 1.5 times the given recipe to get a third layer. I’ve only made sponge cakes in jelly roll pans before and I am hesitant to take the plunge with a butter cake!  Please let me know if it will be an epic fail or not…. It’s for a work function this coming Thursday… Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Volume-wise it doesn’t look like it’d be a problem since the 9x2 round pan and the 10x15x1 hold about the same.  Would it be enough to shorten the baking time? Should I decrease the leaving ( by how much?)? Bake at a higher temp? Middle rack instead of lower third? Help!

Posted: 18 September 2013 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2007-11-27

without knowing how tall the sides of the pan are, it might be better to not fill it so high so it doesn’t run over the edges as it rises in baking.

Usually we’d use a pan extender in the jelly roll pan (it’s a 2” high rectangle that fits into the pan that just gives it taller sides.)  I’ve only ever found pen extenders at restaurant supply stores and that’s only because someone returned a special order, or you can order from a supplier like Pfeil and Holing http://www.cakedeco.com  This. is what they look like:

http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=4243&p_catid=&page=2

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 18 September 2013 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-21

The jelly roll pan that I have measures 10x15x1. I won’t have the time to order the pan extender to make it deeper. Would it be too shallow as is?

Posted: 18 September 2013 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4822
Joined  2008-04-16

I haven’t tried doing this, but if I were going to try it here’s what I would do:

Scale the recipe for the 12” wedding cakes to fit your pan, that way you’ll know that the leavening will be fine.
Fill the pan only half, or at most 2/3 full of batter.
Leave the baking temp as is.
The cake will bake more quickly, all you can do is watch it- maybe 20 minutes?

good luck, and please report back!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 18 September 2013 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2012-01-12
cakemonster - 18 September 2013 07:42 AM

The jelly roll pan that I have measures 10x15x1. I won’t have the time to order the pan extender to make it deeper. Would it be too shallow as is?

That is the standard size of a jelly roll pan. The highest I would go for rolled cake is an inch or 3/4” high.

Posted: 18 September 2013 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1369
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 18 September 2013 01:05 PM

Leave the baking temp as is.

Seems like you’d need higher if you hope to achieve the same level of browning.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 18 September 2013 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2012-01-12

When I make jelly roll or rolled cake, I have always use the rolled cake recipe where it uses whipped egg whites. I have not tried this butter cake recipe. I know not all cake recipes can be rolled. But try it see how it works. Good luck.

Posted: 19 September 2013 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-21

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up following the recipe as is and baked it in 2 10x15x1 pans in the lower and upper third of the oven at 340 for 18 min. I was very happy with the results; they rose beautifully and were more tender than when baked in the 9x2 round pans. I doubled the recipe and was able to make a huge 4 layer cake!  it may not work if you want to roll them but they were perfect for stacking. Plus they cooled on no time!