golden luxury butter cake in jelly roll pan
Posted: 18 September 2013 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-10-21

Has anyone tried baking a butter cake in a jelly roll pan instead of a round pan? I would like to make the Lemon luxury cake from heavenly cakes into a 3 layer (10x15) rectangular cake to increase servings. I’ve measured my 10x15 jelly roll pan and it holds   about 8.5 cups of water at its brim. I was thinking   i could make 1.5 times the given recipe to get a third layer. I’ve only made sponge cakes in jelly roll pans before and I am hesitant to take the plunge with a butter cake!  Please let me know if it will be an epic fail or not…. It’s for a work function this coming Thursday… Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Volume-wise it doesn’t look like it’d be a problem since the 9x2 round pan and the 10x15x1 hold about the same.  Would it be enough to shorten the baking time? Should I decrease the leaving ( by how much?)? Bake at a higher temp? Middle rack instead of lower third? Help!

Posted: 18 September 2013 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-21

The jelly roll pan that I have measures 10x15x1. I won’t have the time to order the pan extender to make it deeper. Would it be too shallow as is?

Posted: 19 September 2013 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-21

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up following the recipe as is and baked it in 2 10x15x1 pans in the lower and upper third of the oven at 340 for 18 min. I was very happy with the results; they rose beautifully and were more tender than when baked in the 9x2 round pans. I doubled the recipe and was able to make a huge 4 layer cake!  it may not work if you want to roll them but they were perfect for stacking. Plus they cooled on no time!