Rose’s Cherry Pie - Add brandied cherries?
Posted: 22 September 2013 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I am making a (sort of) cherry pie for my boss.  I’m making the filling, sans crust, and then putting crustlets on top, with extras folks can add due to no bottom crust.  I am a bottom crust failure, but I don’t mind. 

I have a few questions about the cherry pie:

1.  Why do I remember something about reducing juices in the microwave?  I didn’t see it just now in the PPB.  Did I miss it?

2.  I only have sweet cherries, which I froze, and which don’t have the best flavor.  Luckily, I have a nice har of Eden Organic cherry butter, which is nothing but Montmarcy sour cherries cooked down to a VERY thick paste—8oz.  I thought I would use this as part of the “sauce.”  Any thoughts on that?

3.  I also have some brandied cherries from some midnight ganache.  Would some of these—or some brandy—be good mixed in?  I’ve seen brandied cherry pies before, but sometimes it’s better not to eff with plain old fruit flavor.  Thoughts?  If yes, thoughts on quantity?  Also, the brandied cherry pies I’ve seen cook the brandy with the filling—does this make sense?  I was thinking of stirring the brandy (or brandied cherrries) into the cooked filling, myself.

4.  I wonder if lemon zest would be good in a cherry pie?

Thanks for any thoughts & ideas!!!

—ak

Posted: 22 September 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

1. I’ve reduced juices for a sour cherry pie in the microwave, but Rose doesn’t do this for her cherry pie.  I’m not sure if sweet cherries give off as much liquid as the sour ones (so I don’t know if they would need this
treatment), I’ve never made a pie with sweet cherries. 

2.Sounds good, but I don’t know how much sugar and cornstarch would be needed, you may have the best results if you cook your filling stovetop so that you can adjust sugar, starch, etc. as needed to get it just right.  If you cook it in the pie shell, there’s no room for adjustment.

3. Never done this, either.  I always pair brandied cherries with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge, or chocolate cake.  If you make your filling stovetop you can take a spoonful of the cooked filling, add the brandy or brandied cherries, and taste to see what you think.

4. I would probably shy away from lemon zest- I like it with blueberry, blackberry and concord grape pies, but I haven’t tried it with sweet cherries and I wouldn’t want to pair it with sour cherries.

Sorry you’re having pie crust woes, anything you want help with?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 22 September 2013 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Julie!!!

I knew I’d heard that reduction method somewhere!!

I’ll cook over the stove for sure—the cherry butter might be enough to thicken the juices itself, but this will give me flexibility for sweetening, etc.

Great idea re the brandy.  I would have never thought to do what now seems so obvious—take a little out and taste!!

I’ll skipt he zest.  Thanks for that!

I am simply bottom crust impaired.  I’ve tried par-baking and using white chocolate, and my bottom crusts are still soggy.  You would think it would be impossible, wouldn’t ou????  I figure not everyone can be a pie genius, so I’ll be a pie workaround!!!

Thank you so much!

—ak

Posted: 25 September 2013 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16
Anne in NC - 22 September 2013 03:53 PM

I’ve tried par-baking and using white chocolate, and my bottom crusts are still soggy.

Even with the best methods, pie crust doesn’t stay crisp for more than a day or so.  We use that as an excuse to have some in the evening, then have some more the next morning, before the crust gets too soggy smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

‹‹ cream pie pt 2      Storing Pie Crust Cutouts ››