Storing Pie Crust Cutouts
Posted: 24 September 2013 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I’ll be making pie crust cutouts on Sunday to be put on top of pie filling at the last minute on Monday.

What is the best way to store these?

Is this a good idea or are they likely to not be very good on Monday?

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 25 September 2013 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

You can roll and cut them on Sunday, then refrigerate until Monday.  If possible, it’s best to bake on Monday, they don’t take very long.  But if you really need to bake Sunday, that will probably be OK, too.  Keep them in a dry place, if possible, and at room temp.  When I was a child we lived in a warm, humid climate and to keep salt from caking we put uncooked rice in the salt shakers to absorb extra moisture.  Maybe including a bit of rice in an airtight container with the baked cut outs would serve the same purpose?  Once the cut outs are baked, you can coat the underside with either egg white or melted chocolate to help preserve crispness once you put it on the pie filling. 

good luck, interested to hear how it turns out smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 30 September 2013 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Julie!!!

I rolled them out last night and cut them, then I put them in the freezer.  On Wednesday morning, I’ll pop them onto the cookie sheet and bake, so they’ll be nice and fresh!  I made them into narrow-ish rectangles.  I’m going to leave 1/2 of them plain, sprinkle sugar on 1/4 and sprinkle amber sugar on 1/4.  My hope is they will all look different and be sort of like fall leaves scattered on the pie filling.  Of course, it might look totally different ......