1 of 6
What Are You Baking Today?
Posted: 25 September 2013 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

With Fall in the air, I couldn’t help thinking of Rose’s Cinnamon Crumb Surprise from TBB. My husband loves this loaf cake. Although the recipe calls for apples, I have a ripe pear in my refrigerator. The pear makes the cake a little sweeter. It is oh-so-good!

I can’t wait to see my husband’s happy face when he comes home to the smell of cinnamon and sees this beauty of a loaf waiting for him.  cool smile

Anybody else baking today?

Posted: 25 September 2013 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

tongue rolleyeYesterday I made the Chocolate Streusel Cake from RHC.  I have made it before in a small bundt tin and had mixture enough for cup cakes as well, as Rose says in the recipe, but this time I decided to use a bigger tin and just make one cake.  It didn’t fill the tin as it wasn’t enough mixture for that size but it was still a nice cake, just slightly smaller in depth.  It is well worth making, as are all of Rose’s recipes, in my opinion anyway.

Today I made sourdough bread.  I recently bought Ken Forkish’s book,  Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast and have made bread from it once before with yeast but I wanted to try one of his sourdough recipes as I’ve read so many complimentary remarks about them.  Now I can add my compliments too, the loaves are superb!  Has anyone else on here got this book, I would be interested to read their opinions if they have.  I am impatiently waiting for the loaves to cool down so that I can cut a slice, or two, from the bread to try it out.  (I have had a teeny bit from one end, that’s how I know it is good!)

Posted: 25 September 2013 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24

Oh I do wish I had the time to bake two or three times a week….most especially bread.  Meanwhile, I will be starting a cake due Friday evening.  I am very torn about how early to make it…but it will be three tiers, so I cannot leave it all for tomorrow night.  It will be three tier lemon.  I am going to start with white cake, thinking that they fuller flavor in yellow cake could overwhelm the lemon and it use whites from making lemon curd

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 25 September 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
jeannette - 25 September 2013 12:01 PM

I am impatiently waiting for the loaves to cool down so that I can cut a slice, or two, from the bread to try it out.

I have the book and so does Julie. I don’t really use his baking techniques, though. I find the dutch oven technique too limiting, so I don’t do that, nor do I see much point in the fussy way he mixes the dough. Plus, it means touching the dough, ick. The only change I made to my technique after reading his book was cranking up my oven halfway through to 500 on full convection mode.

I might use his baguette dough formula in the future, since it has a higher percentage of poolish than I’ve been using, and I found his 80% biga formula interesting.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 26 September 2013 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I also wish I could bake during the day/week but alas I look forward to every weekend for baking. It’s getting cooler here in Colorado as well. Think I’m going to make soft pretzel from Peter Reinhart’s Artisan Bread Every Day and also Breadsticks from the Homemade Pantry (just borrowed it from the library).

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 26 September 2013 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24
Jenn - 26 September 2013 03:29 PM

I also wish I could bake during the day/week but alas I look forward to every weekend for baking. It’s getting cooler here in Colorado as well. Think I’m going to make soft pretzel from Peter Reinhart’s Artisan Bread Every Day and also Breadsticks from the Homemade Pantry (just borrowed it from the library).

I rarely make bread but pretzels are on my mental bucket list.  Sounds good..  I need to check out both books

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 27 September 2013 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Oh how I would love a soft pretzel right now!

Posted: 27 September 2013 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Today I baked the Giant Cookie In A Pan from The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook. Rose has a recipe for Corn Fingers in this book and a page she authored discussing her interest in cast iron. Rose discusses this book on her blog.

The Giant Cookie In A Pan is a nice recipe. It bakes in a 10” cast iron skillet. It is basically a chocolate chip cookie with M&M’s scattered on the top. This is the second time I made it. My son loves it.

Image Attachments
photo_1.jpgphoto_2.jpg

Posted: 27 September 2013 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

Ladies, I used to feel frustrated about not having time to bake during the week also, and then I RETIRED!  Trouble is, my family no longer live with us so there are three fewer mouths to feed.  I get around this by either giving baked goods away or by freezing things.  I would have loved to have had time to make all the cakes and other baked goods that I do now, I didn’t even have the time to learn how to do some of these things.  Age has some compensations , but not many!:)

Posted: 27 September 2013 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2012-01-12

Not baking today, but tomorrow. My son wants me to bake Unicorn Poop. I’ve made them before and he really likes them.

Posted: 28 September 2013 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 27 September 2013 07:04 PM

Not baking today, but tomorrow. My son wants me to bake Unicorn Poop. I’ve made them before and he really likes them.

What is it?

Posted: 28 September 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I baked an Isa Chandra Moskowitz recipe yesterday. It is her Jam Swirl Cake which is a variation of her East Coast Coffee Cake from Vegan Brunch.

I substituted organic Apple Butter for the Jam.

It has no cholesterol. It is easy to make, requires no mixer and is good.

Here is the recipe:

http://www.theppk.com/2011/03/raspberry-jam-swirl-crumbcake/

Image Attachments
photo_2.jpgphoto_1.jpg

Posted: 28 September 2013 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
Flour Girl - 28 September 2013 02:24 AM

What is it?

Hi Flour girl, Unicorn Poop are sugar cookies w/ cream cheese that is divided into 5-6 pieces then each piece is colored differently. The more colors the better. Then each color is shaped into ropes then all twisted together into one long rope then coiled into “poop” shape. Then baked. Add edible glitter or any shiny edible dragees or sprinkles. I will post them here when I’m done.

Posted: 28 September 2013 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 28 September 2013 06:40 PM

What is it?

Hi Flour girl, Unicorn Poop are sugar cookies w/ cream cheese that is divided into 5-6 pieces then each piece is colored differently. The more colors the better. Then each color is shaped into ropes then all twisted together into one long rope then coiled into “poop” shape. Then baked. Add edible glitter or any shiny edible dragees or sprinkles. I will post them here when I’m done.

Oh, how cute! Thanks Pretty Cake! I had no idea.

Posted: 28 September 2013 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
Flour Girl - 28 September 2013 07:40 PM
prettycake - 28 September 2013 06:40 PM

What is it?

Oh, how cute! Thanks Pretty Cake! I had no idea.

Hi Flour girl,
I just posted the photos.  Thanks Flour girl

Posted: 29 September 2013 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Gonna go check them out. Thanks Pretty Cake!

1 of 6

‹‹ why ML = and not grams      yay ! SF 49ers ››