2 of 6
What Are You Baking Today?
Posted: 29 September 2013 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Just finished baking Rose’s Many-Splendored Quick Bread from RHC.

I have so many bananas ready to be used.

We love this bread.

Does anyone know if this bread can be frozen?

Image Attachments
phpAmqPvXPM.jpg

Posted: 03 October 2013 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Yesterday I baked a banana loaf from Perfect Light Desserts by Nick Malgieri. It called for using bleached flour, granulated and dark brown sugar and 3 TB of melted butter. It did not call for salt but I added 1/4 tsp salt anyway.  I substituted oil 33g for the melted butter. The conversion of butter to oil is based on the difference in fat content. I multiplied by .81 (thanks Charles).I don’t have bleached flour.  The author uses the lightly spooned technique. The recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups bleached flour. I used unbleached 565g.

I must have done something wrong because, although the loaf had a strong banana flavor, it was so rubbery, I could almost blow a bubble.

Fortunately my family will eat anything banana because I’m not having a second piece.

Image Attachments
phpu2G69uPM.jpg

Posted: 03 October 2013 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, FG!

I have not made the MSQB, but I can guarantee you it can be frozen—whole, sectioned or sliced!

As to reubbery banana bread, the only thing I have found that can cause it is over-mixing.  However, I am sure you are accustomed to not over-mixing, so that might not be your trouble.  I’d be happy to hear the solution, as I, too, can’t stand rubbery banana bread!!!!

Happy day!

—ak

Posted: 03 October 2013 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Anne. I followed the instructions. However, I might have over-mixed because the recipe sounds as if it could have been mixed by hand. I broke my arm in May and am still limited. I used the mixer to do the whisking. However, I did follow the recipe’s instructions to sift the flour over the banana mixture and fold. I did that with a wooden spoon. Perhaps I should have used a big rubber spatula.

I’m glad to hear I can freeze the MSQB! Thank you!

Posted: 03 October 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I trust your broken arm wasn’t, itself, a baking injury!

Posted: 03 October 2013 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Haha! No, unfortunately. I fell while disco rollerskating. I guess I took Get Down And Boogie a little too literally. LOL

Posted: 03 October 2013 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I baked the almond variation of the Wowie/Wacky cake yesterday. It is a Vegan cake. Jeanne recommended it to me on THIS THREAD

This cake has no eggs or dairy. I’ve read the recipe was developed during World War II, when rationing was in effect.

I’ve made this cake many, many times since. It is excellent.

In the book “Vintage Cakes”, Julie Richardson offers slightly different measurements and a different mixing technique than any of the recipes I have found online. Julie’s version rises higher.

I have made the Rum Glaze from Bouchon Bakery to adorn this cake. It was sweet and rich.

Image Attachments
photo-1.jpg

Posted: 03 October 2013 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2012-01-12

I am planning on making chocolate Financier and Milano cookies w/ dulce de leche and ganache filling.

Posted: 03 October 2013 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2012-01-12
Flour Girl - 03 October 2013 10:53 AM

I baked the almond variation of the Wowie/Wacky cake yesterday. It is a Vegan cake. Jeanne recommended it to me on THIS THREAD

This cake has no eggs or dairy. I’ve read the recipe was developed during World War II, when rationing was in effect.

In the book “Vintage Cakes”, Julie Richardson offers slightly different measurements and a different mixing technique than any of the recipes I have found online. Julie’s version rises higher.

I have made the Rum Glaze from Bouchon Bakery to adorn this cake. It was sweet and rich.

I love your cake. It is baked very evenly and looks wonderful. Very clean.

Posted: 04 October 2013 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 03 October 2013 08:22 PM

Thank you Pretty Cake!

It has become a staple in our home. Nothing has to come to room temperature. It mixes in 2 bowls.

No dairy or eggs.

Posted: 04 October 2013 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 03 October 2013 08:22 PM

That sounds delicious!

Posted: 04 October 2013 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-18
Flour Girl - 03 October 2013 01:23 AM

Yesterday I baked a banana loaf from Perfect Light Desserts by Nick Malgieri. It called for using bleached flour, granulated and dark brown sugar and 3 TB of melted butter. It did not call for salt but I added 1/4 tsp salt anyway.  I substituted oil 33g for the melted butter. The conversion of butter to oil is based on the difference in fat content. I multiplied by .81 (thanks Charles).I don’t have bleached flour.  The author uses the lightly spooned technique. The recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups bleached flour. I used unbleached 565g.

I must have done something wrong because, although the loaf had a strong banana flavor, it was so rubbery, I could almost blow a bubble.

Fortunately my family will eat anything banana because I’m not having a second piece.

[/quote
FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. I am sorry to learn of your baking disappointment. Unless you have mis~quoted the figures you have posted
for the cake ,565 grams of flour equates to 20, oz of flour. 2 1/2 cups of flour equates to approx 11.5,oz of flour.
Can this differance be the cause of your baking disappointment?????

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day Flour Girl.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 04 October 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. I am sorry to learn of your baking disappointment. Unless you have mis~quoted the figures you have posted
for the cake ,565 grams of flour equates to 20, oz of flour. 2 1/2 cups of flour equates to approx 11.5,oz of flour.

~FRESHKID.

Hi FRESHKID,

The recipe calls for 2 1/2 c of flour.  But, the recipe specified bleached and I used unbleached. Could that account for the rubber texture?

Thank you and you have a good day as well.

Posted: 04 October 2013 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Flour Girl - 04 October 2013 10:51 AM

FLOUR GIRL:

~FRESHKID.

Hi FRESHKID,

The recipe calls for 2 1/2 c of flour.  But, the recipe specified bleached and I used unbleached. Could that account for the rubber texture?

Posted: 04 October 2013 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
~FRESHKID - 04 October 2013 03:04 PM
Flour Girl - 04 October 2013 10:51 AM

FLOUR GIRL:

~FRESHKID.

Hi FRESHKID,

Hello again Flour girl, Thank you for the timely reply. The use of unbleached flour rather than bleached flour did not cause your baking disappointment Flour Girl.

What caused your problem was the excessive amount of flour you employed. According to your figures you used 20, oz of flour
(565,gr) as opposed to approx 11.5, oz (2 1/2,cups) of flour. You should have employed 326,gr of flour.

I hope I wrote it much better this time around dear.

Have a nice day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

2 of 6

‹‹ why ML = and not grams      yay ! SF 49ers ››