Posted: 04 October 2013 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
~FRESHKID - 04 October 2013 03:16 PM
~FRESHKID - 04 October 2013 03:04 PM
Flour Girl - 04 October 2013 10:51 AM

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. I am sorry to learn of your baking disappointment. Unless you have mis~quoted the figures you have posted
for the cake ,565 grams of flour equates to 20, oz of flour. 2 1/2 cups of flour equates to approx 11.5,oz of flour.
Can this differance be the cause of your baking disappointment?????

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day Flour Girl.

~FRESHKID.

Hi FRESHKID,

The recipe calls for 2 1/2 c of flour.  But, the recipe specified bleached and I used unbleached. Could that account for the rubber texture?

Thank you and you have a good day as well.

Hello again Flour girl, Thank you for the timely reply. The use of unbleached flour rather than bleached flour did not cause your baking disappointment Flour Girl.

What caused your problem was the excessive amount of flour you employed. According to your figures you used 20, oz of flour
(565,gr) as opposed to approx 11.5, oz (2 1/2,cups) of flour. You should have employed 326,gr of flour.

I hope I wrote it much better this time around dear.

Have a nice day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

OMGosh FRESHKID you are right!  How did I come up with so many grams?  Wow!  Thank you very much. I have to try this recipe again. When my husband got home from work today I asked how the cake was. He said it was less rubbery and he loved the flavor.

Thank you for taking the time twice to explain it to me.

Have a nice evening my friend.

Posted: 05 October 2013 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
~FRESHKID - 04 October 2013 05:51 AM
Flour Girl - 03 October 2013 01:23 AM

Yesterday I baked a banana loaf from Perfect Light Desserts by Nick Malgieri. It called for using bleached flour, granulated and dark brown sugar and 3 TB of melted butter. It did not call for salt but I added 1/4 tsp salt anyway.  I substituted oil 33g for the melted butter. The conversion of butter to oil is based on the difference in fat content. I multiplied by .81 (thanks Charles).I don’t have bleached flour.  The author uses the lightly spooned technique. The recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups bleached flour. I used unbleached 565g.

I must have done something wrong because, although the loaf had a strong banana flavor, it was so rubbery, I could almost blow a bubble.

Fortunately my family will eat anything banana because I’m not having a second piece.

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. I am sorry to learn of your baking disappointment. Unless you have mis~quoted the figures you have posted
for the cake ,565 grams of flour equates to 20, oz of flour. 2 1/2 cups of flour equates to approx 11.5,oz of flour.
Can this differance be the cause of your baking disappointment?????

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day Flour Girl.

~FRESHKID.

FRESHKID, I have been wondering how I could have made such a mistake. When a recipe is written in volume I will convert the ingredients to grams on a note pad and keep the slip of paper in the book as a bookmark.

This morning I re-checked my conversions on the slip of paper. I didn’t use 565g of flour. I used 565g of banana (2 1/2 cups of mashed bananas). I used 325g of unbleached flour. I must have misread my conversion of flour when I posted to you.

The only other source of the problem, in my opinion, would be the conversion of melted butter to oil.  The recipe called for 3TB of melted butter. I used 33g of oil.

Perhaps I erred in the mixing technique? I followed the recipe. The recipe sounds like it uses a batter technigue. The eggs, sugar and fat is whisked together. The banana is then added with the vanilla and the flour is then sifted in.

Thank you for your help.  I hope you are having a pleasant day my friend.

Posted: 09 October 2013 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I do think that using unbleached flour in place of bleached can make a cake tougher or chewier.  Unbleached flours normally have a higher gluten content than bleached flours.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 13 October 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 09 October 2013 01:24 PM

I do think that using unbleached flour in place of bleached can make a cake tougher or chewier.  Unbleached flours normally have a higher gluten content than bleached flours.

Thank you Julie.  Do you think the unbleached flour would make the texture more gummy? If I remember correctly, Rose mentions a gummy band when using unbleached flour. This loaf didn’t have a gummy band but the texture seemed gummy to me. Of course I am very spoiled. Do you think substituting .81% of the butter for oil could result in a gummy texture?

Posted: 13 October 2013 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

This is what I baked today. It is the Blueberry Ricotta Custard Cake from Standard Baking Co. Pastries. Rose talks about this book in her blog HERE

This is one delicious cake. The recipes are in volume but it is easily converted to weights.

This is the second time I baked this cake. This time, it came out a little shorter. The crumb was more fine the first time.  The top sank a little both times. I attributed that to touching the top to see if it will spring back. This cake is very fragile until it is fully baked.

Sunken top or not, this cake is a hit.

Image Attachments
php56Rc5fPM.jpg

Posted: 13 October 2013 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-01-12

That looks good.  I love Blue berries.  I planted them last July, but a bit late to have fruits this year.

Posted: 14 October 2013 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you! That is really a delicious cake.  We have blueberry bushes too. The first year our bushes began producing blueberries we didn’t get any at all but the chipmunks got to enjoy them. After that, we put netting on the sides and top of the area. Our bushes have been very productive since then. Last year we had bags and bags filled. This year, not so much. Fortunately I still have last year’s crop in the freezer.

The first time I made this cake I used a combination of fresh and frozen berries. I thought the combination of textures would be interesting. This time I used all frozen berries. IMO, the first cake came out better.

Posted: 14 October 2013 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

That Blueberry Ricotta Custard Cake looks good! Nice smile

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 14 October 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Cookie Monster! It really is!

Posted: 03 November 2013 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-06-04
Flour Girl - 13 October 2013 08:50 PM

This is what I baked today. It is the Blueberry Ricotta Custard Cake from Standard Baking Co. Pastries. Rose talks about this book in her blog HERE

This is one delicious cake. The recipes are in volume but it is easily converted to weights.

This is the second time I baked this cake. This time, it came out a little shorter. The crumb was more fine the first time.  The top sank a little both times. I attributed that to touching the top to see if it will spring back. This cake is very fragile until it is fully baked.

Sunken top or not, this cake is a hit.

Wow, your cake looks so good!! *drooling* hehe

Signature 

My Website (Language in Vietnamese - Focused on teaching/recipes) Dạy Nghề Bánh Âu Mỹ - http://hoclambanhvn.com/
Học Làm Bánh, Dạy Làm Bánh, Dạy Nghề Bánh

Posted: 03 November 2013 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02
Flour Girl - 13 October 2013 08:41 PM
Julie - 09 October 2013 01:24 PM

Thank you Julie.  Do you think the unbleached flour would make the texture more gummy? If I remember correctly, Rose mentions a gummy band when using unbleached flour. This loaf didn’t have a gummy band but the texture seemed gummy to me. Of course I am very spoiled. Do you think substituting .81% of the butter for oil could result in a gummy texture?

Hey Flour Girl!
The one time I’ve made gummy banana breads was when I used a recipe that used oil, so maybe that’s why. Also, I really really want to say that maybe you used too much banana. I don’t remember where I’ve read, or seen, this theory, but I seem to recall that bananas have a lot of fiber, which adds to the structure of the cake and strengthening [is that how you write it?] it. I also think that when I made that gummy banana bread, I thought that I used too much banana but decided to trust the recipe anyway [the recipe stated the weight].

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 03 November 2013 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2013-06-12

good topic!

I am going to make Almond Danish this week. I’ve had lots of pumpkin pie this season.  Pecan pie’s also on my mind!

Posted: 13 November 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
sweetcate - 03 November 2013 09:56 PM

good topic!

I am going to make Almond Danish this week. I’ve had lots of pumpkin pie this season.  Pecan pie’s also on my mind!

That sounds great sweetcate. Who’s recipe are you using?

Posted: 13 November 2013 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2013-06-12
Flour Girl - 13 November 2013 07:51 PM

good topic!

That sounds great sweetcake. Who’s recipe are you using?

well the recipe for pecan pie is A. Brown. it was great! It was a hit with our friend’s parents who are from the south. recommend! It’s definitely going to be something I make again, and I made the golden syrup for it which was real good, with spiced pecans. it’s from his “Countdown to T-Day” episode

Posted: 14 November 2013 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
sweetcate - 13 November 2013 10:25 PM
Flour Girl - 13 November 2013 07:51 PM

good topic!

That sounds great sweetcake. Who’s recipe are you using?

well the recipe for pecan pie is A. Brown. it was great! It was a hit with our friend’s parents who are from the south. recommend! It’s definitely going to be something I make again, and I made the golden syrup for it which was real good, with spiced pecans. it’s from his “Countdown to T-Day” episode

Alton! I made his brined turkey, complete with cooler as a brining tub. It was so moist and tender. I’ve never tried any of his baking recipes. Interesting!

3 of 6

‹‹ why ML = and not grams      yay ! SF 49ers ››