4 of 6
What Are You Baking Today?
Posted: 14 November 2013 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2013-06-12
Alton! I made his brined turkey, complete with cooler as a brining tub. It was so moist and tender. I’ve never tried any of his baking recipes. Interesting!

I am thinking of brining this year too. but not doing the pump and all that. as far as baking, I have tried a few of his baked things and they all turned out good. His cheesecake recipe was great (water bath). He’s a bit of a stickler for things so I feel pretty comfortable with him, have not needed to do any tweaking with the recipes.

Happy baking!

Posted: 14 November 2013 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

Brining is a great thing to do. It makes a huge difference.

Posted: 14 November 2013 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Oh yes, the turkey was better than any ever made before. I’m not sure of our plans yet.

Thanks sweetcate. I had forgotten about Alton’s recipe. If I make a turkey I will probably use his recipe.

Posted: 15 November 2013 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Alton’s brined turkey is great from a timing standpoint- no getting up before dawn to put a large turkey in the oven.  However, you have to really like cloves, I could taste a little of the flavor coming through in the finished roasted turkey.  I didn’t care for his brine flavor the year I made his turkey, so now I use my own brine with his roasting technique.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 15 November 2013 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Sorry FG, I missed this question first time around!

Flour Girl - 13 October 2013 08:41 PM

Do you think the unbleached flour would make the texture more gummy?

Yes, that is exactly what I think.  The higher protein content of unbleached flours makes the cake less tender, and in a butter cake this texture can come across as gummy or glue-y.  It can feel as if it is difficult to swallow it.  This is a different thing than the patches or bands of butter than didn’t remain in suspension with the unbleached flour.  If you used oil or melted butter, then the bands or patches are less likely to have formed. 

Do you think substituting .81% of the butter for oil could result in a gummy texture?

Nope.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 15 November 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 15 November 2013 08:46 AM

Alton’s brined turkey is great from a timing standpoint- no getting up before dawn to put a large turkey in the oven.  However, you have to really like cloves, I could taste a little of the flavor coming through in the finished roasted turkey.  I didn’t care for his brine flavor the year I made his turkey, so now I use my own brine with his roasting technique.

Good idea. I didn’t notice the flavor but my hubby has a sensitive tummy. He might have and blamed it on something else.

Posted: 15 November 2013 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 15 November 2013 08:53 AM

Sorry FG, I missed this question first time around!

Flour Girl - 13 October 2013 08:41 PM

Do you think the unbleached flour would make the texture more gummy?

Yes, that is exactly what I think.  The higher protein content of unbleached flours makes the cake less tender, and in a butter cake this texture can come across as gummy or glue-y.  It can feel as if it is difficult to swallow it.  This is a different thing than the patches or bands of butter than didn’t remain in suspension with the unbleached flour.  If you used oil or melted butter, then the bands or patches are less likely to have formed. 

Do you think substituting .81% of the butter for oil could result in a gummy texture?

Nope.  smile

Thank you so much!

Posted: 03 December 2013 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I baked Rose’s Whipped Cream Cake from RHC page 28. I forgot how delicate and delicious this cake is.  I glazed the cooled cake with a sugar glaze, tasted just a crumb and OM Gosh, I wanted a piece.

I will be bringing one of these cakes to our Christmas party with friends and one to our Christmas party with family,

Image Attachments
unnamed.jpgunnamed-2.jpg

Posted: 03 December 2013 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2011-12-25

I like it!! That’s a cool buntd pan with those high peaks. I just read the recipe and see it calls for heavy cream. Did you use that? It is so delicate because the dry ingredients are folded in very carefully, right? That looks like fun and I bet it is good. They will love you for sure at your parties. smile

Posted: 03 December 2013 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey,

Yes, I did use the heavy cream. It has to be whipped till stiff peaks. And the flour does have to be folded in gently.  I always glaze this cake but it is certainly sweet enough to stand on its own.

The pan is Nordic Ware’s Heritage Pan.  Recently, Nordic Ware came out with a mini Heritage pan:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHU8DVE/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know about it, even though it is supposed to be a surprise, that my daughter-in-law bought it for me for Christmas. She doesn’t know I know. And, she doesn’t know I might return it. Not sure yet. I have been looking at it when we go to the store but I don’t make little cakes too often. I own this bundtlet pan:

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Platinum-Anniversary-Bundtlette/dp/B004RB4SII/ref=pd_sim_hg_4

and I love it. But, I just don’t think I need two of this type of pan.

She will understand.

Posted: 03 December 2013 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Whipped cream cake looks great!

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2013 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Julie ! It tastes better than it looks grin

Posted: 04 December 2013 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25
Flour Girl - 03 December 2013 08:31 PM

Hi Abbey,

Yes, I did use the heavy cream. It has to be whipped till stiff peaks. And the flour does have to be folded in gently.  I always glaze this cake but it is certainly sweet enough to stand on its own.

The pan is Nordic Ware’s Heritage Pan.  Recently, Nordic Ware came out with a mini Heritage pan:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHU8DVE/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know about it, even though it is supposed to be a surprise, that my daughter-in-law bought it for me for Christmas. She doesn’t know I know. And, she doesn’t know I might return it. Not sure yet. I have been looking at it when we go to the store but I don’t make little cakes too often. I own this bundtlet pan:

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Platinum-Anniversary-Bundtlette/dp/B004RB4SII/ref=pd_sim_hg_4

and I love it. But, I just don’t think I need two of this type of pan.

She will understand.

I’m sure she will, Flourgirl! That second one is cute, too. I’d like to have the first one-Love those peaks! smile, but kinda pricey shut eye  Maybe I can find a deal. wink

I will definitely bake that cake, in fact, I have the ingredients, so I’ll shoot for this weekend.

What other little secrets do I need to know to make it perfect?

Thanks

Ab

Posted: 04 December 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 04 December 2013 03:22 PM

What other little secrets do I need to know to make it perfect?

Thanks

Ab

I don’t know Abbey, I’m still working on that.

Maybe this will help:

Rose making the Whipped Cream Cake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWAtTtwXUUU

Let us know how it turns out!

Posted: 04 December 2013 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Sorry, I didn’t even think of that. I just watched that and will probably be spending quite some time watching the rest of her videos. Thanks Flourgirl, that was fun!!

4 of 6

‹‹ why ML = and not grams      yay ! SF 49ers ››