5 of 6
What Are You Baking Today?
Posted: 04 December 2013 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Sorry, I didn’t even think of that. I just watched that and will probably be spending quite some time watching the rest of her videos. Thanks Flourgirl, that was fun!!

They are a great resource, aren’t they?

Posted: 04 December 2013 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  2011-12-25

Yes and thank you so much!!! smile

Posted: 05 December 2013 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

You are welcome Abbey grin

Posted: 14 January 2014 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-01-14

i did cheese cake <3

Signature 

http://www.timesharescam.com/

Posted: 24 January 2014 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Yesterday I baked my first Sweet Potato Cake. I drizzled a Buttermilk glaze over the top and baked it in a 10” tube pan. The recipe comes from SOUTHERN CAKES.

I baked the sweet potatoes. Next time I have to remember to bake them on a baking pan instead of wrapping them in foil and placing them on the rack. The juices leaked and now I have to clean the oven UGH!

I used 476g of sweet potatoes which is based on a comparable quantity of pureed pumpkin in Rose’s RHC pumpkin cake recipe.

I pureed the cooked sweet potatoes and added to them to the batter when they reached room temperature.

It was easy to prepare and came out good.

Image Attachments
unnamed.jpgunnamed-2.jpg

Posted: 24 January 2014 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

You did good, flourgilrl. That looks so delicious that now I want to get some sweet potatoes at the store today. It is easy, but so good. I learned to put some kind of paper on the cookie sheet to save me from cleaning the pan. wink I think buttermilk would be perfect for that cake. Yum yum. I am so hungry!! smile

I’m going to try to answer some of your ?s from the other post since I only have a minute to talk. Let’s see, first, I want to make a sponge cake and roll it with the damp towel. That’s what that method is all about. I know that post got messed up because I didn’t thoroughly check the link I posted about jelly rolls, then noticed some of the links on that page were not very appropriate so I deleted it, and then noticed, it didn’t make much sense. Sorry!! So, I hope to find a recipe for a sponge cake. Haven’t had much time yet. Saw my sweet grandma Wed. and had saved the piece of the galette with the heart, but didn’t know until the night before that I’d be going over there, so, by that time, the galette had disappeared from the kitchen table. HEHE!! But, since I will see her again next Tues, I might be able to try the galette again-which I really want to do and get the sponge cake and the sweet potato bread baked. I have more ideas than energy but we’ll see what I can manage by Sunday night.

Thanks Flourgirl. You always inspire me. I hope you have a wonderful day and enjoy that beautiful cake.

Abbey  

Posted: 24 January 2014 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 24 January 2014 12:40 PM

You did good, flourgilrl. That looks so delicious that now I want to get some sweet potatoes at the store today. It is easy, but so good. I learned to put some kind of paper on the cookie sheet to save me from cleaning the pan. wink I think buttermilk would be perfect for that cake. Yum yum. I am so hungry!! smile

I’m going to try to answer some of your ?s from the other post since I only have a minute to talk. Let’s see, first, I want to make a sponge cake and roll it with the damp towel. That’s what that method is all about. I know that post got messed up because I didn’t thoroughly check the link I posted about jelly rolls, then noticed some of the links on that page were not very appropriate so I deleted it, and then noticed, it didn’t make much sense. Sorry!! So, I hope to find a recipe for a sponge cake. Haven’t had much time yet. Saw my sweet grandma Wed. and had saved the piece of the galette with the heart, but didn’t know until the night before that I’d be going over there, so, by that time, the galette had disappeared from the kitchen table. HEHE!! But, since I will see her again next Tues, I might be able to try the galette again-which I really want to do and get the sponge cake and the sweet potato bread baked. I have more ideas than energy but we’ll see what I can manage by Sunday night.

Thanks Flourgirl. You always inspire me. I hope you have a wonderful day and enjoy that beautiful cake.

Abbey  

Thank you Abbey! 

I totally understand why your grandma didn’t get a piece. Disappearing cakes are one of the mysteries that happen to me too LOL

Oh, you want to make a jelly roll cake?  Do you have a recipe in mind? In Flo Braker’s version, she supplies the recipe for the cake, which is not a sponge cake (I think). I did a search and Google (books.google.com) has her recipe but I am not able to transfer it to this forum. The search would be: flo brakers old fashioned jelly roll with a twist. 

I also have a “light” version of her cake in PERFECT LIGHT DESSERTS . I actually planned on baking it and just never got around to it. In Flo’s recipe, she doesn’t mention a towel. She uses foil to maneuver the cake.

Thanks for the tip on the paper. I had to scrub my sweet potato-ash mounds from the oven floor. After my cake (Wowie Cake) comes out of the oven (I am baking now) I will have to clean it. It cleans automatically so it is not the chore or exposure to poisonous fumes it once was.

Any baking plans for this weekend?

Happy Friday!

Posted: 25 January 2014 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

Thanks for all the help!! Honestly, you are the best and I am preparing my mind for this project. Your link to the Perfect Light Desserts had a picture of raspberries which made me think that I will use fresh raspberries(which I bought early this morning) in the Almond Sponge Roll recipe I found that calls for preserves. I might figure a way to add some almond paste to the raspberries?? I still have a small amount of almond paste from that galette I baked last Sunday.

I bought more almond paste and really hope to have the time to bake the galette this weekend. That was so delicious. I will use less filling and more pastry-that’s how I like it anyway. wink

I’ve been watching videos on making roulades. I watched women work the cakes with ease, so I’m hoping it will all happen like that for me. smile

I’m just sorta letting it all soak into my head, so when I start baking tomorrow night, it will just happen naturally. Don’t want to struggle, just because I didn’t prepare. I certainly look forward to it.

Happy Saturday !!  smile smile wink 

Posted: 26 January 2014 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey,

I think it is so interesting how you prepare for baking and modify recipes. You seem very inquisitive and adventurous and not afraid to take chances. That is a great quality and I admire you.

Well, I will be looking for your post after you bake. I hope you have a good baking experience, without a struggle.

Have a good night and happy baking!

Posted: 27 January 2014 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Oh you are a good heart.  You make me feel good about myself. Honestly though, I watch videos and read as much as I can because I feel like a rookie. I did get the almond sponge cake w/almond filling baked last night but with great effort. I wish I could explain every little detail but it’s bedtime for me but I wanted to touch base with you. Long story short..I thought I’d. Made a flop but, once again, I managed to fix an edible creation, according to the gang at work. I saved some for my grandma for tomorrow night. We’ll. See how she likes it.  Thank you for being so sweet. I’ll. Talk to you soon and tell you more about that cake. Good night!

Posted: 28 January 2014 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-01-27

Hi everyone!  I am brand spankin new!  I started out just loving decorating cakes but have recently started to make scratch cakes and am really enjoying it.  I have been reading through these posts and am just getting sooo excited!  I made the PAA Chocolate Butter Cake today with the Milk chocolate Buttercream.  My buttercream came out really thin though I’m not sure what I did, any suggestions would help.  I followed the recipe exactly so I’m just not sure…  Here are a couple of cakes that I have made for my son’s birthdays.

Image Attachments
shrunk_barn_cake.jpgshrunk_bug_cake.jpgshrunk_train_cake.jpg

Posted: 28 January 2014 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 27 January 2014 10:57 PM

Oh you are a good heart.  You make me feel good about myself. Honestly though, I watch videos and read as much as I can because I feel like a rookie. I did get the almond sponge cake w/almond filling baked last night but with great effort. I wish I could explain every little detail but it’s bedtime for me but I wanted to touch base with you. Long story short..I thought I’d. Made a flop but, once again, I managed to fix an edible creation, according to the gang at work. I saved some for my grandma for tomorrow night. We’ll. See how she likes it.  Thank you for being so sweet. I’ll. Talk to you soon and tell you more about that cake. Good night!

Hi Abbey,

Did you make the almond Sponge Cake from the link you showed me?  Was the cake the difficult part? I can’t wait to hear all about it!

Have a good day!

Posted: 28 January 2014 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
kbuzz17 - 28 January 2014 12:33 AM

Hi everyone!  I am brand spankin new!  I started out just loving decorating cakes but have recently started to make scratch cakes and am really enjoying it.  I have been reading through these posts and am just getting sooo excited!  I made the PAA Chocolate Butter Cake today with the Milk chocolate Buttercream.  My buttercream came out really thin though I’m not sure what I did, any suggestions would help.  I followed the recipe exactly so I’m just not sure…  Here are a couple of cakes that I have made for my son’s birthdays.

Hi! Wow! Your son is sure a lucky little boy. That is amazing, beautiful work.

I’m glad you found us.

Posted: 28 January 2014 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Howdy Flour Girl,

One difficulty I had was getting the almonds ground into a light floury texture. Used the same processor as always and added a little flour to prevent clumping. The new double-layered/insulated pan I used, which is supposed to prevent the bottom of the cake from burning before the top is done, fooled me. The top looked golden brown and I even smelled that aroma of a cake that was ready to come out of the oven. smile But when I started pulling the parchment paper away, I saw it was not done. Bummer!!!! I had already prepared the filling, so I just kept on. 

I did have fun rolling it up with the towel though. Just sprinkled some powdered sugar on the towel to prevent sticking and didn’t press too hard. That was perfect.

I learned a lot. I should have converted the ingredients and weighed them esp with eggs. Think it could have used more egg whites?

The filling was heavy whipping cream and one gal said she had expected more of a cream cheese like texture. Another gal thought there was too much filling and I agreed. It tasted like custard with whipping cream.

So, you are looking for a sponge cake for your uncle’s birthday, right? I will look forward to hearing about that. I have a lot to learn. wink

Posted: 29 January 2014 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 28 January 2014 09:14 PM

Howdy Flour Girl,

One difficulty I had was getting the almonds ground into a light floury texture. Used the same processor as always and added a little flour to prevent clumping. The new double-layered/insulated pan I used, which is supposed to prevent the bottom of the cake from burning before the top is done, fooled me. The top looked golden brown and I even smelled that aroma of a cake that was ready to come out of the oven. smile But when I started pulling the parchment paper away, I saw it was not done. Bummer!!!! I had already prepared the filling, so I just kept on. 

I did have fun rolling it up with the towel though. Just sprinkled some powdered sugar on the towel to prevent sticking and didn’t press too hard. That was perfect.

I learned a lot. I should have converted the ingredients and weighed them esp with eggs. Think it could have used more egg whites?

The filling was heavy whipping cream and one gal said she had expected more of a cream cheese like texture. Another gal thought there was too much filling and I agreed. It tasted like custard with whipping cream.

So, you are looking for a sponge cake for your uncle’s birthday, right? I will look forward to hearing about that. I have a lot to learn. wink

Hi Abbey,

I’m sorry you had such difficulty. I’m sure you will learn from this experience. However, it sounds delicious.

I think I’m not going to pursue the sponge cake at this time. I have another cake in mind and I’m sure he will love it.

I baked another Wowie Cake this morning. So simple and we just love it plus nothing harmful to your cholesterol.

Have a gr8 day Abbey!

5 of 6

‹‹ why ML = and not grams      yay ! SF 49ers ››