apple caramel buttercream
Posted: 25 September 2013 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-10-21

So I am tempted to use the apple camarel creme anglaise from the Charlotte recipe in heavenly cakes to make a silk meringue buttercream. But I am afraid it’d be too subtle and I won’t get the apple flavor at all… Any suggestion on what to pair it with? I am making a cake for someone who really likes apple. Thanks!

Posted: 26 September 2013 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2007-11-18
cakemonster - 25 September 2013 11:16 PM

So I am tempted to use the apple camarel creme anglaise from the Charlotte recipe in heavenly cakes to make a silk meringue buttercream. But I am afraid it’d be too subtle and I won’t get the apple flavor at all… Any suggestion on what to pair it with? I am making a cake for someone who really likes apple. Thanks!

CAKEMONSTER:
Good morning. I may have mis~understood your question. You didn’t mention the cake recipe you intend to employ. I bring this point up because I would think that if you are wanting more APPLE flavor in this baked product you would look to infuse it here & not in the filling. If you wish you can post the recipe & we can propose some thoughts for you.

Another thought, is it possible you can consider a layer cake similiar to a black forrest cherry cake but using apples instead?????
Just a thought…somtimes my culinary imagination runs wild.

Anyway whatever you decide I am csrtain it will work out just fine.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 27 September 2013 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

I think you’re right to worry about the apple flavor not coming through.  Another idea is to make the caramel silk meringue and arrange poached apples on top.  Or make mousseline and flavor it with the full amount of liqueur using Calvados. 

For the cake, you could make a sponge-type cake and flavor it with a cider syrup (apple cider genoise?) or with more of the Calvados.

Interested to hear what you make!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 30 September 2013 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Cakemonster!

I wonder, too, if rose’s Karmel cake from RHC would be a good match?

I wonder if some apple butter would emulsify into the completed frosting—or you could torte the 2 layers for 4 and put apple butter between 1&2 and 3&4, and the buttercream between 2 & 3 and then all around—and top with Julie’s poached—or even caramelized—apples and put walnuts all around the sides (is it safe to assume that all apple lovers also love walnuts?).

ORRRRRRRRRRR

You can make Rose’s apple upside down cake—2 of them—and make them your two cake layers!!!!!!!  I always wanted to do that with pineapple upside down cake.  Make pineapple upside down cake, using carrot cake batter, and then sandwich the layers with cream cheese frosting and coat with coconut.  Mmmmmm.

—ak