Sugar syrup
Posted: 03 October 2013 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-12-28

My query is the use of granulated or castor sugar in sugar syrups. Some recipes specify castor (fine) sugar and some just use granulated sugar. Does anyone think there is a reason for this?

Posted: 03 October 2013 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Trish!

Castor sugar is simply sugar that is more finely ground than granulated sugar.  I would think the only reason to use it is that it will simply dissolve more quickly.  I use regular sugar in mine with no problem.  Sometimes when I want sugar to dissolve more easily (making caramel, especially), I just whir my sugar in the food processor (or mini prep or coffee grinder) for a few minutes, and it works great! 

It will also dissolve more easily if you combine the sugar and water and then cover it (so water doesn’t evaporate) and let it sit for a couple of hours.  When I make caramel, I do this (and whir the sugar), and the sitting gives the dissolving a head start.

And what delicious cake will you be syruping???

—ak

Posted: 03 October 2013 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27
Trish - 03 October 2013 02:06 PM

Does anyone think there is a reason for this?

No. Don’t waste your castor sugar.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 04 October 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-12-28

Yes that is what I thought. Just wanted to see what anyone else thought. Many thanks.

Posted: 04 October 2013 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Agree with Charles and Anne- save your caster sugar for applications where it’s important for the sugar to dissolve well or quickly.  Boiling water should dissolve any sugar, even a coarse one.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up