This isn’t a Rose recipe—it’s something I put together—but I used some of Rose’s (& Julie’s) techniques, and it uses Rose’s pie crust on top.
I have a boss that prefers pie to cake, but I can’t make a pie to save my life, so I tried something pie-ish.
The pan is a larger that 9 x 13, but I’m not sure exactly what it is.
The bottom crust is 2.75 c. almond flour, 2.75 c. raw dried coconut (i.e., none of the oils, etc., have been pressed from it, so it’s full flavored), 1/2 c. sugar, 7 T butter and 1/4 c. water pressed into the pan.
On top is a very thin layer of 70% chocolate, to act as a barrier (thanks, Rose!), and give more body to the cherries. 3 oz. for the whole bottom, thin enough that I had to spread by hand.
The cherries are about 3 lbs of sweet cherries, frozen to release more of the juices (thanks, Rose!), juices reduced by 1/2 in the microwave (thanks, Julie!)* and thickened with 3.5T corn starch. I added 1/2 t. almond extract (Rose) and 1/4 c. + 1T sugar—we don’t like stuff too sweet. I also had a jar of Eden Organic Montmarcy cherry butter (an 8 oz jar has 2.5 lbs of tart cherries—and nothing else—cooked down to a thick paste). These provided a nice tartness.
Topping is Rose’s cream cheese crust cut into little rectangles, 1/2 of them topped with sugar.
It was very good—folks loved the bottom crust, which would make an excellent gluten-free cookie, with or without chocolate spread on them (as I was creating the bottom crust, I made several samples as cookies—using honey, egg, etc., to get the best result).
The only problem was it stuck like the dickens to the pyrex! I had to “jimmy” a spatula back and forth under it to release it, and there was definite threat of flying dessert with the force I had to put into it. I think if I used pyrex again—and I doubt I will—I would line it with parchment, cool, remove the parchment, and put it back in the pan.
* Since reducing takes a long time with a lot of juice—because you can only do it in short bursts for fear of boiling over—I put 3/4 c. of juice into three quart-size mason jars and rotated them. That way two could cool (slightly) & evaporate (slightly) while another is in the microwave. This cooling cycle lets them be in about 5 precious seconds longer before boilover. Worked rather well. Took about 10,000,000 cycles, in any event.