Freezing pies
Posted: 06 October 2013 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I am making Rose’s apple and pumpkin pies for our thanksgiving dinner next Saturday but I need to make them early because it is going to be a very busy week, especially near the end.  I won’t have time to bake later. 

Should I freeze the apple pie before or after baking.  And can I successfully freeze a cooked pumpkin pie without the crust going all mushy?

Posted: 07 October 2013 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

As for freezing pies, always freeze before baking, definitely.  You can bake from frozen, just add a little more time to the baking, depending on size of pie.  As to the other question about pumpkin, I can’t help you, I don’t use pumpkin so no knowledge of how it defrosts etc,. Sorry.

Posted: 07 October 2013 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Jeannette.

Posted: 07 October 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Liza!

Rose also says the bottom crust comes out better when you bake a pie from the freezer, so you get a bonus!

—ak

Posted: 09 October 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I think you may have better luck freezing chiffon pies than a classic custard pie.  Rose’s pumpkin chiffon pie is delicious, but I think the recipe doesn’t say anything about freezing one way or the other.  I’ve been meaning to whip up a small amount of the filling and freeze it ahead of our holiday next month, but who knows when I’ll get to it.  I bet Rose/Woody could answer about this over on the blog.

re: apple pie, I agree with the others, freeze unbaked and then bake from the freezer.  Freezing a baked flaky pie crust can change the texture for the worse.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour