Freezing pies
Posted: 06 October 2013 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I am making Rose’s apple and pumpkin pies for our thanksgiving dinner next Saturday but I need to make them early because it is going to be a very busy week, especially near the end.  I won’t have time to bake later. 

Should I freeze the apple pie before or after baking.  And can I successfully freeze a cooked pumpkin pie without the crust going all mushy?

Posted: 07 October 2013 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  793
Joined  2007-11-15

As for freezing pies, always freeze before baking, definitely.  You can bake from frozen, just add a little more time to the baking, depending on size of pie.  As to the other question about pumpkin, I can’t help you, I don’t use pumpkin so no knowledge of how it defrosts etc,. Sorry.

Posted: 07 October 2013 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Jeannette.

Posted: 07 October 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Liza!

Rose also says the bottom crust comes out better when you bake a pie from the freezer, so you get a bonus!

—ak

Posted: 09 October 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4881
Joined  2008-04-16

I think you may have better luck freezing chiffon pies than a classic custard pie.  Rose’s pumpkin chiffon pie is delicious, but I think the recipe doesn’t say anything about freezing one way or the other.  I’ve been meaning to whip up a small amount of the filling and freeze it ahead of our holiday next month, but who knows when I’ll get to it.  I bet Rose/Woody could answer about this over on the blog.

re: apple pie, I agree with the others, freeze unbaked and then bake from the freezer.  Freezing a baked flaky pie crust can change the texture for the worse.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen

Posted: 27 February 2015 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2015-02-27

For freezing pies, always get cold just before preparing, surely. You are able to cook through iced, simply just include somewhat more time and energy to the actual preparing, according to dimension of cake. For the some other query concerning pumpkin, My partner and i can’t help you, My partner and i don’t make use of pumpkin therefore absolutely no expertise in exactly how that defrosts and so on,. I am sorry.

Signature 

Get free demos for Testking compass study guide  exam and mcts exam with Testking ibm labs guaranteed success. Our nmu.edu best quality prepares you well before appearing in the final exams. olivet.edu