Replacing Butter with Oil in brownies
Posted: 07 October 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-10-07

I’m looking to experiment with my brownie recipe by replacing the butter with oil. Does anyone know how to properly replace butter for oil in baking?

Posted: 07 October 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, tkellyvt!

Welcome!

Butter is, generally 80% fat, 20% water.  So, if your recipe calls for 1c butter, you’d want to replace it with just over 3/4 c. oil just under 1/4 c. water.  Or, replace 100g butter with 80g oil + 20g water.

I would definintely try this privately, though, before creating these for an occasion.  Brownies are so butter-rich, they could be distinctly different with oil—maybe in a good way, but maybe not!!!  For example, I find truffle centers made with oil kind of disgusting, so the replacing dairy fats can work in some things, but not others, and you’ll definitely want to confirm for yourself!!  You can also try nut oils which will add a different kind of flavor.

You could try a tiny partial batch in a mini loaf pan or something.

Good luck!

Let us know how it comes out!

—ak

Posted: 07 October 2013 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

The gooey nature of the brownies will be affected by how solid your fat is at room temperature. I would recommend a vegetable shortening like Spectrum.
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 07 October 2013 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Good thought, Gene!  That didn’t occur to me at all!

Posted: 08 October 2013 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25
tkellyvt - 07 October 2013 11:07 AM

I’m looking to experiment with my brownie recipe by replacing the butter with oil. Does anyone know how to properly replace butter for oil in baking?

Cooks Illustrated has a fabulous brownie recipe that uses both butter and oil.  They aren’t subbing butter for oil but use 4T butter and 1/2 cup +2T oil—although their formula is dependent on mixing and sugar as well.  They use about 30% of total fat (by volume—from what I can tell) is butter and 70% is oil.  Perhaps that’s a start.
I make the recipe often and it’s always well received.